computer quite slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the hardware is just old. Come on it is a Pentium 4. It is not the best CPU out there and no piece of PC hardware lasts forever.

You got less than 16GB free of 150GB and 13GB free of 230GB. Ever think that you have to much stuff for your PC to maintain? I mean pagefile, temp files, internet files, downloads and everything else will hamper your speed when you dont have enough free space to handle everything you do.

Not to mention having your system Index all of that. I think it is time you cleared out some files and gave the old bird a break. She isnt a spring bird anymore and trying to run a P4 like it was a Quad Core will only kill it faster.

What is your computer's operating temperature like under load? Have you eliminated heat as an issue?

I'm seeing a bunch of different temps, not sure which you need. For this I'm using PC Wizard 2010.

This is not under load.
SYSTIN 39C
CPUTIN 56C
AUXTIN 51C
Thermal Zone 40C
Hard Disk C 44C
Hard Disk E 39C

I'll try to start up a bunch of stuff now and see what happens.

[LOADING]

These were the only 2 changed:
CPUTIN 77.5C
AUXTIN 53.5C

Wow, I remember P4's being hot...but not that hot lol. I would try and re-apply thermal paste on your CPU, because your temps are pretty high.

Is the room your PC is in cool? Or is it fairly hot in your house/room? First step in lowering your temps is lowering the temp in your house.

Blow out the dust and reformat. It's a known fact that xp boggs down once the drive passes 50% usage. I see you also had defraggler running along with about a million other things. You have a single core p4. Try to limit your installed and running progs and that will speed things up alot.

Just having installed programs without running them slows it down?

I cleaned out the dust recently. It was manually, no air, but got the fan area best I could.

50%??? That seems a bit too high a number. 15% I've heard, I could imagine even 25%. But 50?

Room is relatively cool. Room temp. Without the AC I'd say its 24-25, with AC 23-24.

Dan did you read my post? You say that 15% seems like an appropriate number for when XP slows down, yet you dont even have 10% of either drive free. You wonder why your system is slow, yet I have explained it and now so has someone else, yet you keep jumping that point. You stated that you have 16GB of 150GB and 13GB of 230GB. Neither of which is the lowest recommended amount to be free for a drive before XP starts to slow down. That is not 15% of those drives free, let alone any number higher.

I already said that you ha to clean some of your storage, Thomas has now backed me up and yet you continue to ignore the 1 factor that is the common denominator. You are either going to have to try and delete some of your data to see if that helps or live with it being this slow cause you used up to much storage and the system has a hard time working with the amount you do have. Until you try, there is no way to solve such issues that you are having.

Are those drives IDE? I wouldn't be surprised if they're starting to die after 4-5 years. Late model P4s were designed in 2006, 5 years ago. That's a long time in the PC world. Really at this point I'd recommend moving onto new hardware. you can build a better system than the one you've got currently for 400-500 bucks. Even just changing over the HDDs would help you I reckon, you can get a 1TB harddrive for $50 these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom