Computer overheating because of games

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm629

Baseband Member
Something rather uncommon just happened. I was playing Pocket Tanks and suddenly my computer turned off. A few weeks back I was posting here about my computer turning off after 25 mins of idle, and I think somehow the CPU overheated. I have no clue why it'd do that.

I checked using Sandra the temperature as soon as Windows loaded up. The board CPU temp was at 57C. Then I kept checking for 10 - 15 seconds interval and found the temperature actually cooling down. As of now, board temp is at 42C.

A few weeks back I was running Spybot S&D and it did the same to my system. I already uninstalled the program (cuz I thought it's causing all the troubles with the computer turning off after idle). I'm guessing the reason it turned off was because of overheating.

How can simple programs such as Pocket Tanks and Spybot overheat my computer?

My comp stats off top of my head:
2.66 GHz Pentium 4
Windows XP Professional
45 GB 512 RAM

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a thermal probe under my CPU, and Spyhunter warms the CPU noticeably on mine as well; I guess it just needs a lot of processing power.

As for the idle temps, they do seem high for an intel chip, could you post some stats of your CPU Heatsink and fan, as well as case design and layout.

Not sure this is what info you want, but I don't have any CPU fan installed, only relying on the 8mm fan.

CPU Fan speed: 2411
CPU Voltage: 1.44 V

Case and design: not sure, but I took out one of the side panels when my computer started shutting down after 25 mins of idle.

Did the performance improve when you took the side panel off? That will normally reduce temperatures a bit if you have a case ventilation problem.

Have you got any fans attached to the case blowing air in or out?

Yes, the temp had definitely improved after taking out the side panel. But I did this a while ago and I left the side open.

About the fans, I'm not too knowledgeable with the hardware, so I'm not sure.

Can you take a pic of the inside of the case with the side panel removed and either e-mail it or post it here on the forum?

That will allow us to make a diagnosis for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom