Computer messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

In Runtime
Hi, I believe my computer is messed up with a virus or something. When i go to certain sites it takes forever to get there. When it does go to some sites my computer will freeze and I have to hard boot it to get it back. I ran full system scan with malwarebytes anti malware, superantispyware, spybot s & d and Kaspersky AV but it found nothing. According to them I am clean. What else can I do?

On sunday I created an image of my hard drive with acronis true image home 11 on an usb external HD and unplugged it from my PC when it was done. If I need to use that to get my computer back to normal, how would I do it that way. Can I please get some help with my issue.

thanks

Did you go thru Osiris's guide? If you are infected creating a image after you were infected will mean that the image is infected as well. So that image you made is useless.

Mak, I was infected after the image was made. How would I go about using the image created sunday using ATI 11. The image is on a external USB HD which was unattached to my computer before it was infected? No, I have not gone through osiris's guide. I don't even know what or where that is.

What do you recommend I do?

thanks

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-updated-11-13-2008-a-165828/

A search of the forums would have provided the answer. ;)

I havent used ATI11. But i am sure if you check their site they will have the information you need. They are very good about documenting all of their procedures.

I recommend you go thru Osiris's guide first. If that doesnt work then i would check to make sure that it is spyware/malware or virus cause this guide should get rid of any and all infections. If your Computer is still messed up. I would wager that it was a bad install of Windows and even using that image wont help at that point.

Mak, I am going thru osiris's guide and I am trying to run mscleanup but I get an error of "sys admin has set policies to prevent this install". How do I fix this please? OS is XP Pro.

thanks

Well did you set policies? It would be Group Policy. If not then you are most deinfately infected. Try Safe Mode.

I was trying from safe mode. I didn't set any policies that I am aware of. Any other ideas?

Mak, If you read this thread in which alvin c wrote

I did create a bootable CD in bootable rescue media builder. Should I try using that? It doesn't go into the OS as he says but I would have to connect my external USB HD and try to restore from there?

What do you think?

There is no link to the thread. ;)

But yes i would try that. Try every possible thing that you can. BartPE, a CD you created anything that will try and help you resolve this.

Mak, I know for a fact that my bootable ATI cd goes right to its interface when I turn on my PC cause i tried it so no OS is loaded. If I can restore my PC that way, and I unplug my external HD nothing should affect anything on external HD incase I need to install OS and reinstall ATI and restore it that way? Do you agree with me? Please let me know.

Also, if I do succeed in doing it this way, my PC won't be infected anymore, correct?

thanks Mak.

Edit: When I click source drive with ATI of D: the "next" option is grayed out even if I high lite it. What do I need to do now, please? I see all my files that are on my c: drive and 1 file called mybackup1.tib which I selected but when I high lite that it says it is not an ATI home archieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom