Computer keeps powering up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denis

Beta member
Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 2175CA running Windows XP Pro. My system seems to continuously powering up for I don't know what reason. I already have unselected every option of auto update and sleeping state that I could find but still...the system powers itself up, even if running only on batteries which you understand is...depleasant!!!

Someone here can help? would be GREATLY appreciated

Denis

Well....

If I close my laptop, either by using the "start" button or by pressing the on/off switch, the system will shut itself normally. A few moment later (from intantanouesly to a couple of hours) the system will power itself up and start running. It goes up to where I have to enter my initial password.

Denis

It does it either on or removed from my home network. Where can I locate all wake on ring, lan modem and...???

it is not always the same amount of time

doesit happen at the same lenght of time after you shut down all the time? if not it oculd be a fualty power switchor soemthing with the wires to it?

and a side not, this was my 100th Post!!! :D:D

Have you looked to see if you are enabling the Hibernation mode in XP?? could be that when you push the power button to shut it off,, you are actually putting it in sleep mode,, and then as soon as you open the lid,, the machine wakes up,,

plus,, I know XP is guarded better for immediate power outages with a slimmer chance of corruption, however, I would ask why you are not using the standard method of shutting down a system as oppossed to just killing the power,,

are you by chance a salesman?? On the road,, not a great amount of technical knowledge and just like to turn the PC on to get your mail or show your power point presentations to succeptible clients??

Just asking,, cuz those are the types of people that often bring their laptops in to our department,, and complain about what a piece of crap they use,, and meanwhile,, they never read, took training, or were curious to find out why things were happening..

there are a couple of my mates that love those types,, they get their laptops which are mostly Loaded up A21 thinkpads,, network them to play WC3 or Matrix, and keep the laptop for about a week,, meanwhile , the salesdude,, doesnt come down with a coffee or anything,, is crass as all HEl@,, and demands to have service provided..

truly,,, IS job security = salesmen with laptops,

heheheheeh

Sorry for the rant,, but that sounds toooo familiar .,,

cheers,,

BTW: if this is not you,, just enjoy the read and check the hibernation settings,,
:)_

well,

I don't know if, with my bachelor degree in computer science, I fell in your "rep" category !! ;-)

Every sleeping/hibernation mode have been disabled. All "Wake on something" that I could find were also disabled.

I usually shut everything with the "start" button put I also have program the power switch to do a shut down if depressed, not only hybernation. BTW the system powers itself up even if the lid is closed!

I've been told by Compaq guys to do a bios upgrade, which I did. Now it's my screen that doesn't light !!!! The laptop is now on its way to the manufacturer...Hoping to have a new one in a couple weeks!!!

Thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom