Computer keeps freezing, help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondish

Baseband Member
Hi every one, my computer has been freezing for several months about 15-30 times a day and It's driving me insane and I can't seem to fix the problem. I have put a brand new video card and RAM into the mobo, no physical damage is on the mobo either. All hardware is properly set up and I'm thinking It's a problem with the OS. I have 5 partitions on my hard drive and I was wondering if I only need to format the partition that the OS is located on (D) to try to fix the OS or the entire HD? I'm using Win XP SP2 with all updates installed at the moment. If you need any more info or have any suggestions please reply, thanks!

Video drivers are one item that will see things freeze up fast. The amount of items auto loading along with Windows can usually be disabled in the msconfig utility if two things are clashing for some reason.

I had one board here that loved to eat batteries for some reason. Memtest reported all kinds of errors with the memory installed. I replaced the 1gb of Corsair performance memory with 2gb of a different brand there. Memtest reported far more with the new!

When the cpu overheated due to a failed fan on the 3rd party cooler and the fsb then had to be lowered just to see the system boot the new build then saw no errors with both sets of memory. After about 1 1/2yr.'s time the old case was reassembled iwth a new battery and the old cpu suddenly ran like new?! Crazy board for sure!

Did you remove all teh old video drivers when you put the new card in?

Generally you see a driver removal tool either on the software/driver disk or at the support site for seeing drivers removed first. If the old card's drivers were left on and now clashing with those for the new card.

When mentioning having XP on the second primary there are you dual booting with another version of Windows or Linux? Windows by itself would generally be installed onto the first primary while others would be storage or another OS there.

I have no previous drivers to remove as the mobo has no onboard video and the vid card i bought was installed fresh onto a brand new HD. Any other suggestions appreciated n thanks for the replies! Also heres another thread I made on this topic in the hardware section with an update on this issue because I wasn't sure where to put this http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/computer-freezing-irql-bsod-help-please-166906/ That has more info if it helps any, thanks a million to any one who helps even a tiny bit!!!

UPDATE: Ok my computer just went BSOD again and I get a really interestingly long error message this time here it is:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0X000000D1 STOP: (0X00000060, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XF78CF4DF)
usbechi.sys - Address F78CF4DF base at F78CC000, Datestamp 41107d62.

Don't know what the **** that means so gonna try to do some trouble shooting on Google, hope this helps some.

Sorry, which one am I supposed to DL? I searched through that whole site for term "echi" and found nothing and thanks for the help.

//EDIT: Whoops nevermind I thought you typo'd it "ehci" but I wrote it down wrong off the BSOD as "echi" my mistake.

Ok, so are you saying I need to reinstall this driver? I found it within my system32/drivers folder so It's not missing... Also I don't want to pay $20 to download this driver if It's included in SP2, do you know any where else I can get it for free? I'm searching.

It's in the I386 folder compressed in a cab file on the installation disk not in a service pack. Besides booting to the recovery console to manually enter the commands needed to expand and replace the original with a new copy you could simply try running the system file checker to see that will replace for you.

Type "sfc /scannow" in at the Run prompt and press the enter while having the XP install disk in the drive. It takes several minutes for it to go through the routine of verifying files and then replacing any found damaged or missing but can help a lot of the time.

At least now besides a likely need to update video drivers without any hardware problems found you have something to work with. When searching for your spelling only the corrected one appeared even on non English threads on various forums. "usbehci.sys"

Ok thanks a million, typing in that command in the run prompt now and praying this fixes my problem. Actually I have been having problems with my USB ports as well as about 2 of them have failed and 1 of the other ones gets picky from time to time, this would explain why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom