Computer is full of viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickNYM

Baseband Member
my old computer is a mess..basically i turn it on...it loads up and its just bombarded with viruses and warning messages...i want to try and repair it myself.

i try to just reinstall windows but that doesnt even work anymore..

what should i do to get it in working order again?

What I usually do is buy a USB Drive and download Malwarebytes and what ever virus removal programs onto it and keep it in my desk for when I have a virus. If you have another working computer I would recommend doing the same thing. If you can get a USB drive run the programs off of the USB Drive in safe mode.

Run malwarebytes and Avast! in safemode. Make sure you update them as well. If those two don't get rid of everything you can also use Spybot S&D as well as CCleaner to cleanup the registry and files left behind.

Running all this in safemode and the most updated definitions are the key.

What happened when you tried to reinstall Windows? What's the PC's specs though (gives us an idea how old it is)? Also you can download Malwarebytes and update your AV. Check this thread, http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/tech-forums-top-rated-antivirus-2010-a-226526/, for a selection of AVs you can get. After restart in Safe mode and scan your PC with AV and Malwarebytes.

Post Malwarebytes log after.

i load up the computer..enter the disk...and nothing happens..

it is a dell dimension 3000 1.6ghz 2gb memory 200gb hard drive..pretty old computer..from 2003 i believe..running xp.

so i can download the malware to a flashdrive then startup the computer in safe mode? how do i enter safe mode off the bat?

Have you tried checking the boot order in the BIOS to make sure the CD/DVD Rom is first in the order? Also yes you can download Malwarebytes to a flashdrive and start up the computer in safe mode (you can do this by pressing the F8 key before the Windows loading screen appears). When you reach the part to choose, select Safe Mode with Networking (this gives you access to the net to update Malwarebytes and your AV).

Windows XP

Using the F8 Method:

1. Restart your computer.
2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

You will need the Avast Boot CD. It will run the virus scan before Windows loads.

You will need Safe Mode with networking. As just downloading MBAM (Malwarebytes) isnt going to give you the most up to date definitions and you will need them. since it is XP you will need to run ComboFix as well.

Spyware Asylum

You will need the Avast Boot CD. It will run the virus scan before Windows loads.

You will need Safe Mode with networking. As just downloading MBAM (Malwarebytes) isnt going to give you the most up to date definitions and you will need them. since it is XP you will need to run ComboFix as well.

Spyware Asylum

the newest version of avast allows you to schedule a boot time scan in the menu..why would you need a boot cd for it?

the newest version of avast allows you to schedule a boot time scan in the menu..why would you need a boot cd for it?

Because of several reasons.

1. Who is to say that they can get the newest version installed WITH updating to the latest definitions to be able to disable the virus without the virus disabling the software?

2. The boot scan is only effective if and only if you can complete step 1.

So there is no way you can be 100% sure that installing the software is going to even work. Let alone if you will be able to remove the infection. My method you can as you dont ever have to login to Windows at all to get the software installed or the definitions updated. What better way to stop an infection than to remove it when it cant even be initalized?

Yes it does need to be run. If you cant get into Safe Mode with Networking so that you can even get access to the internet to get the newest Avast, then you are up the creek without the paddle. My method will be 110% more effective in removing the infection than trying to let Avast do it with the infection already in place.

Also FYI, Avast has always had the boot scan option. It isnt just when you install it either, you can access it via the program and schedule a boot scan upon request if you wish as well. I know i ran the software for several years and know it very well.

I don't think you would need the boot cd. I have done a boot time scan myself without the CD

As i have said above there is no way to be sure that the program will install and update to remove the infection. A boot scan will be ineffective if it cant disable the infection. My way will do this. I said it for a reason. Not cause i wanted to be a PITA but cause it will work 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom