computer freezes at "Verifying DMI data..." during POST, after beep - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2004, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to air_man_woody
Angry computer freezes at "Verifying DMI data..." during POST, after beep

OK, yet another problem. I recently upgraded from an AMD Athlon XP 2100 266MHz FSB (Palomino) processor, ASUS A7N266-E mobo, 1024MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM, and PNY GeForce 4 Ti 4600 video card to an AMD Athlon XP 2600 333MHz FSB (Barton), ASUS A7N8X-X mobo, 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM and PNY GeForce FX 5900 video card. I decided, due to recent bugs in my system, to reinstall windows completely by reformatting my hard drive and such. I got all this accomplished, then when windows restarted, it said I needed to restart again (something about USB 2.0), so I did. When I restarted, she went through POST and stopped with a message the said "Verifying DMI data..." and froze. I went into BIOS and verified that all IDE devices, CPU and memory were recognized by my BIOS, and they were. Still, she would not boot passed that same message. If I change my FSB setting to 100MHz (200MHz effective in the AMD world) she goes through POST and gets to the same message but an extension to it: "Verifying DMI data..................update success" then it freezes again. I'm lost, I checked my jumpers on the mobo and they are set, I changed my FSB back to 166MHz (333MHz), made sure the CPU was installed correctly and heatsink was on, etc. I don't know what to do! My "bible", Que's Upgrading and Repairing PCs, says to I have the wrong multiplier (right now it is set to 11.5) or wrong FSB selected in BIOS, or my jumpers are wrong. I don't understand cuz earlier it let me completely install windows without a hitch, though my FSB setting was 100MHz when I installed. I don't understand why my computer worked before but isn't now. I'm lost. Can anyone help me???!?!? I am going to try and set all BIOS settings to default, double check my jumpers, and start from the beginning by installing windows and reformatting again. Other than that, I'm lost. Help me?!?!?

Old 02-21-2004, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default add on

Plus, does anyone know what "Verifying DMI data.........." means?

Old 02-21-2004, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default correction

Correction, the message says "Verifying DMI pool data......."
Old 02-21-2004, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hi, DMI is short for desktop management interface which is an API(Application Program Interface) API is a set of routines, protocols and tools for building software applications). DMI is produced by a consortium of hardware manufacterers lead by intel (who else!) to enable software to collect information about a computer enviroment.
apparently your problem can be caused by a number of different things.
1. corrupt boot files, use the win xp disc to run the repair console;
2. incorrect hdd settings, make sure hdd is set to auto in bios and check jumper settings;
3. boot devices not set properly, make sure there's no floppy or cd in the drives and set bios priority to floppy-cd-hdd, for xp you could use cd-hdd but i prefer to use the former.
4. a corrupt bios even loose connections.
connections could be loose/disconnected or bad Hdd or another piece of faulty har
Old 02-21-2004, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I got corrupt boot and master boot sectors on this PC before, I went to the recovery console, did a chkdsk and it fixed a few errors, and told me the boot + master boot sectors were corrupt; i rebuilt the boot + master boot sectors and now it works fine
Closed Thread