Computer Freezes Frequently...Need New Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
no luck with the cdrw it still locks up when I insert a disc into the drive. the drive is an ASUS 5232AS and the CDRW's are imitation.

these are the only cdrws' i have and any other cdroms and burned cdr's it doesn't have a problem with.

Few things to try. Check the IDE Channel make sure its set to DMA and not PIO. Also, write to HDD first. Another thing disable "Syncronous Data Transfer" in the Device Manager window. May need to flash the EEPROM.

drives are set to DMA and I flashed the EPROM with the latest update from ASUS about 2 weeksa ago.

Still no luck

Is the cd drive set in a chain as a slave drive? If so, have only one drive on each IDE channel. Like the HDD on IDE 1 and the cdrom on IDE 2.

That, and also check your jumpers. What 'bout the services that your machine's running; check by typing services.msc and then look. If the SSDP Discovery Service is running, and the Server service, then you want to disable them. This may help. Also hit up msconfig and then send us a screenshot of it.

If it sounds like ozzy, I apologize. It made sense when i typed it. :D

The CD drive is set as the primary drive on the 2nd IDE channel jumpers are in the correct place for both it and the CDROM slave. I tried putting in a CDRW with the slave disconnected. No luck. Still starts to read cd and then locks up.

I then proceeded to mrdinkel's advice and disabled the Discovery and Server service and still no luck. For some strange reason after is rebooted both programs had reactivated.

I would be happy to send you guys a screen shot of whatever you like...how do I do it?

Oh by the way I have NERO on the computer, it came packaged with the burner. I used InCD to format 2 CDRW's however as it got to the end of each one the computer froze. Now the computer freezes before InCD ever comes up. Almost as soon as I put in a CDRW. I tried reinstalling and even just uninstalling and the problem persists.

Perhaps the updated prom for the CDRW is bad???

I was unable to find the "disable synconious data transfer" in the device manager window.

Hmm.. Nero... I believe Nero and things like CloneCD create a virtual drive even after uninstalling. This might be causing a few problems. I dont know why it would, but its just a guess. Also try this. I'm assuming you cant access cd's either, as it sounds just popping in a cd locks everything up. So, put in a cd with the shift key held down. It'll disable autorun (I think its the shift key...). Then, open my computer. See if it locks up JUST going into my computer (refreshing the drives). If not, then right click the cd drive and click browse/explore. See if you can explore it. If you can then try to launch a simple text file. Then launch a prgrm. This wont fix anything, but may tell us whats going on. Also, what does event viewer show? Finally try disabling DMA on the CDRom then and see what happens. It'll be slow, but its a start.

good news i flashed the CDRW drive for the third time and this time it seems to have work no more looking up and burner works as it is suppost to. Looks like my computer is finally stable.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom