Computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilymambo

Beta member
My computer freezes while playing video games. It has done this in three different games. It will not respond and plays a sound loop that's mostly some harsh static, requiring me to reboot. It has never done this outside of a game.

I am runnin Windows 2000
Athlon XP 3000
1 gb pc3200 RAM
ASUS K7S8XE mobo
geforce 5700
and a soundblaster audigy 2zs platinum

Since it happens in games, I've been trying new video drivers, new RAM, which hasn't solved it. However, I came accross this thread from this forum:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=14960&highlight=pfmodnt

I've tried this solution, but the PfModNT properties claims "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)" and the startup type is not selectable at all. So now I've tried updating my sound drivers. Reinstalled from disc, and installed the latest from Creative website, which has not fixed PfModNT or the problem.

Any suggestions? Either concerning PfModNT, or something else entirely? Thanks in advance.

Hello, Wilymambo!
This may be faulty memory. Try running a memory test program, or trying new memory to see if that is the issue.

If your memory is fine, or if new memory works fine, then run a full scandisk (fdisk) on the hard drive to see if there are bad sectors.

Try another video card, if you have a cheap old reliable one laying around, to see if video is the issue.

If all three are fine, reinstall the OS - assuming you are running Windows, and that you have already troubleshooted the OS itself withour resolution (i.e. Driver updates, OS updates, etc etc.). If Linux, then run the appropriate hardware tests and software tests and you should not have to reinstall the OS.

If you go through all the above steps and the issue is still prevelant, try a new motherboard or power supply. But do those lastly, as most likely the problem (and cheapest to resolve) is the memory.

Make sure you have the appropriate power supply. Take note, the cheaper the motherboard, sometimes equals to power consumption issues which require higher-than-normal standard power supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom