Computer is Freakin possessed - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2005, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer is Freakin possessed

Not much of techie, but could sure use some help. I run windows xp on a desktop. Recently, computer is going crazy. for example, the nouse will jump around the screen and many different windows will open. sometimes they are hard to close for a bit. The toolbat will move from bottom to sode of screen. I will also hear a staticicky-thumpin sound from my speaker. Sometimes I can close everything and continue with work, othertimes I have to turn machine off and try again. Thre isa CPU usage icon that is changing from 2% to 87% and then back down again...I have scanned for virsus with Webroot -none found and just try another scanning - nothing. Webroot also finds the occassional adware. A adware killer from the net that I thought ws free found 6 or so "critical" adware programs and for $30 it would delete them for me... Is there an ez answer why a pc would freak? (Heck even 1 time it opened an intent site to a radio station and broadcasted their intro?
I have tried to reinstal l windows xp, but I am still in the same boat. IS there an answer?

Old 01-15-2005, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Your pc seems to be infected by spyware. Those programs you have are junk. What you need to do is download hijack this, adaware se personal and spybot search and destroy 1.4 beta. Disable your startup items except your antivirus. Reboot and run your adaware programs. Then run hijack this and post it in the adaware section to be analyzed.

Old 01-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Could also be a heat problem or bad RAM. Check those out.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Follisro, this will help. Click the Start menu then click Run.
Then type MSCONFIG

Then a window will pop up. Look above and click STARTUP.
This will show you everything that loads and runs in the background when your computer starts.

Call your computer company, they will tell you what is suppost to be on that list. So you will know what to and what not to check. You can mess your computer up(I HAVE LOL).
Finished With TF.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am usure how to turn off evrything but the spyware stuff and then run the programs. I have installed/run the above-mentioned programs which found 1-2 things and I quarantined them. 10 minutes later the computer is at it again....I dont believe it is heat , is there a way for me to check RAM ? Are the stores like best buy etc good about looking at these things or should I try a guy from the phonebook (Computer fix it) This is a 2nd hand computer that I primarily use for the kid, so I just hope to get in functioning.......Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to southernlady Send a message via Yahoo to southernlady

Why PAY for help when you can get it here?

Follow the instructions posted here: And post the HiJack Log in the HiJack Log (Analyze) Forums. Make sure you put it in a My Documents or a Program folder and NOT a temp folder. Liz
<font size=\"1\"><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">Priority Computers</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">AdAware SE</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">SpyBot-Search & Destroy</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">SpywareBlaster</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">SpywareGuard</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">HijackThis</a> | <font color=\"red\"> <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">Stealing is illegal</font></a> <form action=\"\" method=\"get\"><br />
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search Tech-Forums!\"></form><font size=\"1\"><i>Powered by Emily!</i></font><br />
<br />
Old 01-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Freakin Possessed

I have a similar problem. My home computer (Windows XP) goes on, gets to the Windows page with the icons, etc. but I cannot get any of the programs to run. I searched the Internet (here at work) and saw that some people are having problems because they tried to download and/or install a "Windows Update" sometime around September.

I think I may have done that. Anyhow, what do I have to do to be able to use my programs again? I have no idea where my Windows Installation disk is.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

It WILL NOT be a RAM problem, trust me on this. Nor will it be a heat problem either!
How up-to-date is your antivirus software?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to olorin

I know what I would do if it was me...... re-format and do a fresh install

By the way...... my wife wants to know if she can buy your hat Southern Lady?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

there are free programs which will remove adware, spyware and viruses
a free anti spyware program I know of is Ad-Aware SE, and for antivirus I use Antivir Personal Edition

also do what Southernlady said and scan with Hijackthis, then post us the log

Closed Thread