Computer Error And Re Installing. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2004, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer Error And Re Installing.

My Old Windows 98 machine has been acting up over the passed few years so i've been keeping it away in a box. But lately i've come the need of a server so i pulled it out a few days ago and have been trying to fix it.

The PC itself was slow, so i brought over Ad-Aware and Norton by disc and began installing and scanning, i ran ad aware and my computer already had dramatic speed changes, i then proceeded to norton and removed any viruses that accumalated. After that i decided to clean it up, there were un used programs all over it, nearing the end of it, i restarted my computer. What i was surprised to see is that when i booted it up, and got to the login screen, many .dll files were missing, and i was told to re-install windows 98.

I got all my discs and poped it in, but i relized that i couldn't even access my desktop, i was stuck in the Login Screen with errors and i can't reinstall windows.

I was wondering if there is another way to re install Windows 98? Whipe everything on my Hard Drive then Re install it, without even going into desktop (I have access to the set up menu when windows is starting up). Is there any hope for me, and if so, how can i do it? I don't have a boot disc, but i do have the system CD's, maybe it would be best to just install Linux (Sense that is what i would probably be doing anyways)? Anyways thanks.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via ICQ to suker Send a message via AIM to suker Send a message via Yahoo to suker

you can use a boot CD, reboot your computer ,format your disk then reinatall!

Never too Old to Learn
Never too Old to Make Friends

AIM : cqpc120
Yahoo: cqpc120
Old 11-21-2004, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics

when your computer first starts, it should display which key to press to enter setup. This is for your bios configuration. Inside you want to find your boot order and change it to attempt to boot from CDROM first. Save your changes, put your boot cd in (win98-2k-xp cd, linux distro cd, anything thats bootable) and go from there.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I have Win98 and my disc is not bootable. Maybe yours isn't bootable as well. Get a Win98 boot floppy from ... Execute the downloaded file and put in an empty formatted floppy in A:

Insert the boot floppy you just created and the Win98 CD.

Make sure the computer boots from A: (see csamuels' post)

Select "boot with CD-rom" int the menu

after a few minutes type "setup" or "setup.exe"
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Closed Thread