Computer Doesn't turn off sometimes when shutdown - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2017, 06:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Computer Doesn't turn off sometimes when shutdown

Hey, like the title says, when I shutdown my computer, sometimes it don't shutdown at all.. everything will turn off like monitors, other devices, etc but the computer just don't turn off. Sometimes it'll turn off but it takes like 10 mins or so. This computer is not slow by any means, I just custom built it for gaming. Anyways, I've tried cleaning it up using bleachbit, defragging it, cleaning the registry, and I even ran chkdsk to repair errors on the drive which took hrs but it's still doing the same thing so I came to the conclusion that it might be a program that might be not responding and just doesn't want to end. What do you think?

bL4cKh4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Computer Doesn't turn off sometimes when shutdown

Did you check Event Viewer?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yea, that's the first thing I checked and I noticed that some of the windows apps like groove music etc failed to update so I tried to start the windows store and it won't start. I also tried to go to the file manager to check Drive C for errors and when I right click Drive C, explorer closes. it doesn't really look like a crash because the taskbar didn't flash or anything like that, it just closes for some reason.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Open up command prompt as admin and run:
sfc /scannow

If you want to try a chkdsk, do:
chkdsk c: /f /r

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i ran chkdsk a few days ago and that didn't work but i totally forgot about the system file checker command but I ran that in the command prompt as admin and it said " Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." so then i ran it the system file checker utility as admin using the powershell and it ran it and finished but then it said, "
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios." i've been googling this for a while now with no luck. thanks for the help!
Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Ghost

Well, you know there's always the hammer option. Take backups and reinstall windows. Sometimes a scalpel just doesn't do the job
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

just to let anyone know that has this issue or can help someone with this issue, the issue was with AVG internet security....it took over my whole system, it took forever to load windows, i had some pending windows updates that wouldn't install, none of the windows apps would work including the store, it would just say that their was no internet available which was probably the firewall but usually it would ask me if i want to allow the connection and it didn't, and the 10-20 min shutdown time....anyways, what i did, i used iobit uninstaller to uninstall AVG internet security so i could delete any leftover files and registry entries and restarted my PC and it's like new again! the first thing it did was install the windows updates and now, my pc takes only a few seconds to shutdown and the speed is what it's supposed to be. i was thinking about reinstalling windows but i'm glad i didn't. i just wanted to let everyone know just in case someone else has this issue.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Sweet as, thanks very much for the update!
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

no problem. it's a little ironic that a program like AVG internet security that's supposed to protect your pc from threats messes it up.. i also had an issue that before it would boot into windows sometimes, it would say "watchdog initializing" and have a bunch of code under it. i don't know if you've ever heard of watchdog or not but i found out that it's an AVG thing and when i wrote them to find out what it was, all they told me was that watchdog is needed for the program to run and i replied and said "yea, but what is it?"..they never gave me a clear answer on the subject so that's kind of shady and i think that was the main reason my pc was messing up.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Night Ninja

I'm familiar with Watchdog and AVG. There are plenty of AV programs that cause little issues like this. I've seen Norton expire and completely lock down a computer's communications to the network (no access at all). I've seen Kaspersky kill registry filters which cause a user's keyboard not to function. I could go on, but you get the idea. There's only a couple of programs that I've not seen any major issues with and that work very well.