computer dead.. help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenderAC

In Runtime
hi, my computer is pretty much dead.. it just shut down completely a few secs/or mins after i turn it on.

What can be causing this? I first thought it could be PSU, but i do not smell any burning and it is not particularly hot. Then I thought it could be my HD, but i got into the BIOS and everything is detected fine. What other reason that could be causing this? Can it be my CPU being dead?

Need some advices plz, thx alot

it shut down while i was in BIOS... it just shutting down randomly.. whether its a few secs or 1 min.. i don't think its pass over 1 min though

I am thinking/hoping its PSU problem? Or can it because of CPU, would a bad CPU cause random shut down?

my PSU is antec 420W, about 3 years old i think

i just turn it on again and was able to stay long enough to get to the error page. It says "overclock failed, please enter your setup to reconfigure"
and then i push F1 to get into BIOS again. I have never overclocked anything so i don't know whats going on. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thx

i checked my CPU temp and its like 71 C, is that way too hot?

i think i found the problem.. its shutting down because my CPU is too hot. i let it rest a bit, and turn it on and it stayed on longer.
Any method to reduce the CPU temperature?

Either your fan is dead/dying or your thermal paste/pad is.

The easiest solution is to get a new HS/F and thermal paste and replace yours with it. That way you know you got it.

what is HS/F? and is it difficult to replace the thermal paste? i am using intel CPU, can i do it myself or should i have professional to do it? thx

HS/F = heatsink/fan.

No, it's not really difficult. Here's a link to a page with videos of how to install it:
http://www.nforcershq.com/article92.html
The vids are of AMD CPUs, but you'll see that it's not hard.

Be sure to clean the old paste off of your CPU before you start. Just use cotton swabs dampened in alcohol (not dripping wet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom