Computer crashes after being moved/ case opened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
A few weeks ago I reinstalled my rear exhast fan, and afterward for a day or so, my computer would crash in windows and in 3Dmark (it was only a few times in windows, once a blank blue screen crash, and every time in 3Dmark at various stages). Then one day it stopped crashing in 3Dmark, and windows ran for almost 24 hours without crashing. By that time I had ordered a new PSU, as I thought that that was a likely cause of the crashes and heck I needed a new one anyway. Yesterday I installed it (a Thermaltake 480watt PurePower), and booted my computer. I wanted to disable some intergated stuff I wasn't using in BIOS, but by the time I remembered, XP was booting. Once it got to the login screen, I hit "shut dwon' then Reboot and it froze right after I clicked it. Well, I hard reset it, changed what I wanted to in BIOS, and got back to windows, logged in, and then it started crashing, once in windows, once in 3DMark. After that it seemed to work fine.

My speculations, please veryify/disprove:
1.) since it lives on a rug, perhaps my shoving it under my desk created static that it had to get rid of before running stably. I have moved it around during it lifetime without problems (before the time I installed the fan)
2.)Other static problems. I was very careful when installing the PSU, and mmoderatly careful installing the fan
3.) for some reason some components may be mis-seated when I move it
4.) Do new PSUs run a little unstable during their fisrt few hours of operation?

Oh, one last ting: After the first bout of crashes, I ran a memory test for about 12 hours over 2 sessions without error. Just yesterday I ran it for an hour and a half without error. Yesterday I aslo ran a CPU test without error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom