Computer continues to reboot. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Computer continues to reboot.

If needed I can list the parts. Basically I have a computer that I want to reformat with a Windows XP CD. I can not get the computer to boot from cd.

It says "Boot from CD:" and ends up trying to start windows. When windows tries to start with the XP Logo and bar moving across the screen it will reboot roughly reboot in 5 seconds. I do not know if its a MB, PROC, RAM, DVD drive, Powersupply, I have noidea whats causing the computer to continually to reboot and not allow me to boot from CD.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Computer continues to reboot.

if you take the cd out, does it still continue to reboot itself?

here's how check if your computer is set to boot off cd:

when it boots up, you have to press a certain key to get into the bios setup (on dells it's usually F2, but some other common keys are ESC, F1, and F11) it should tell you what key to press to enter setup.

there should be list of options, one should be called boot order or something along those lines.

it should say CD before HDD-0

now, if it is, then you might just need to press a key when the cd boots. last time i tried to boot to the xp cd, when it booted it said "press any key to boot to cd" try that.

"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

whole story here: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-microsoft-put
Old 08-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

It doesn't say to push a key, I am familiar with those words, and hope it would say those words but it doesn't. Secondly if the CD is not in the drive it does the exact same thing without the long delay of my CD drive trying to read the XP disc.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Are you sure your BIOS is boot from CD set first. Also if you have access to another PC check to make sure there is not BIOS updates for your PC.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
Are you sure your BIOS is boot from CD set first. Also if you have access to another PC check to make sure there is not BIOS updates for your PC.
I will double check, secondly this is not a new MB i had it working for a while, should i still update it even though nothing has changed since day 1?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Okay I know for sure CD is first. It just hangs at "boot from Cd" then it just "TRIES" to load xp, sigh! haha i think its a powersupply problem? or my mobo is dodo! should i just buy a new computer!? thanks for the help!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

no, here's the best thing to do (since you are reformatting anyways):

download Parted Magic
burn it to cd with ISO Recorder v 2
boot to that cd
delete all the partitions (if you have more than one)
then reboot with the xp cd in and it should boot
"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

whole story here: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-microsoft-put
Old 08-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

K i will try it ASAP thanks!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

try a different cd rom drive
Old 08-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Question Re: Computer continues to reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmwrestler View Post
no, here's the best thing to do (since you are reformatting anyways):

download Parted Magic
burn it to cd with ISO Recorder v 2
boot to that cd
delete all the partitions (if you have more than one)
then reboot with the xp cd in and it should boot
I'm having the same basic issue as the original poster.

I just picked up a Sony Vaio laptop F270. From what I can gather is it has (2) separate partitions. I want to do a complete wipe/format of the HD and get back to having (1) Large partition.

However, I "tried" upgrading Win98 to XP Pro on the (1) partition. The PC gets to a certain point and simply reboots and/or shuts down completely. I can not access any files/folders at all. I can't even access the 2nd partition at this point.

I did download/burn PartMagic (as the above instructions). I reconfigured the BIOS to boot to the CD 1st.

The PC goes directly to the XP Pro and stops just like before.

HOW do I wipe this HD clean and Reformat it ??

TIA

Closed Thread