I have a Gateway PC running on Windows ME OS. A week back my pc froze and I couldn't restart it since then. Following is what happens and what I have tried:
- When I power up the PC, by default the hard disk scan starts. If I let it continue then after a while the disk scan window freezes. While windows is attempting to scan, I can hear the hard drive crank. This cranking sound is certainly different than what I would hear when the PC was working
- Now if I cancel the disk scan then the PC boots up. I see the windows screen and then my desktop screen. If I start the windows explorer, I can see the file structure. But within a minute or so again the hard drive starts cranking and then the PC freezes.
- The above happens irrespective if I start in normal mode or safe mode!
- I have GoBack installed. I tried reverting back but get the same results.
- Interestingly, if I boot from the Gateway recovery disk then it takes me to the A: prompt. Then after changing to C
IR, what I see the contents of my D drive, which is the slave hard disk tha I installed!
I just want this thing to work once so I can backup some of the remaining files that I haven't. Hope someone has a solution.
In the worst scenario - what are some good (cheap and reliable) places to get data recovery?