computer boot error--urgent help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was a video driver in one of the updates?

U may wanna try booting to safe mode and rolling back that driver.

im not sure what was installed in the updates. the last batch of updates from microsoft had 60 different updates in it, most of which were security patches and i think sp2. can i access driver information if i cant log into my computer? all boot modes will only go as far the windows logo before the system restarts itself. i WISH i could get in safe mode so at least i can get to some of my files on my computer.

I would just do the recovery again.

If its not f10 and you cant remember which key it is, just run ur finger across all of em at boot up, well, from f3 up since once u hit f2 itll take u to the bios.

i tried all the buttons and then my computer just beeps at me. i think it is as Camouflage stated, that i wiped out my recovery so i cant run it anymore, because the last time i got to the recovery, it was pretty easy to get to the recovery screen by pressing the right F# key by chance.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

But that would mean you blew out the partition after you reinstalled, cause if you did it before the reinstall it wouldn't have reinstalled.

As I read about this I see If you used the default recovery option it would delete your recovery partition which makes no sense to me.

Default System Drive Recovery: All data on your hard disk will be deleted and all applications will be restored to drive C: only. This will also delete your recovery partition, do not use this option if you have not created recovery discs.

Change Partition size and Recover: This is like a standard recovery with only one difference: you can select the size you want to allocate to your C: and D: partitions and even allows you to only have one partition (except for the special recovery partition). This option will keep your recovery partition if you have not created any recovery discs.

Factory Default settings Recovery: This will restore your VAIO to it's default settings (the settings used when it left the factory). This option will keep your special recovery partition.

after the first successful reinstall, my computer prompted me to do the recovery wizard, but i declined it because it was undergoing too many microsoft updates....... maybe thats how it wiped out? and then windowsupdate couldnt access the necessary xp files so now its angry at me and restarting all the time???? i would think that it would prompt me for the xp cd or something if that is the case.

I bet you had sp1, then windows updates installed sp2. sony recommend that you do a fresh install when update to sp2 or download the sp2 patches from sony website or it will crash.

copy that sony disc to the hard drive (since you don't trust the cd rom) and and hit setup and pick upgrade. when the computer restarts, don't finish the upgrade. instead you pick repair

re: ericb

i cant login to my computer to access my harddrive. my computer restarts itself right after the windows logo during startup. the only thing i can do with the vaio recovery cd is just boot/recover from disk.

gonna try the cd in a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom