Computer automatically restarts before login screen - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

@ OIDanTheManIO
I don't have any such setting in my BIOS. In fact, my BIOS doesn't seem to have many customizable settings at all, other than perhaps boot order

@ geekster
Yes, I understood from your first post what you were saying (I saw the tip at the website I listed above), but I don't have the second option of repairing once I enter the install.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Try installing fresh copy of XP to another partition of your hard-disk. In case you have just one partition, choose a different folder name (setup will ask you whether you wish to overwrite the current installation or install in a different folder, give a different folder name e.g. Windows-New )

You should be able to access your file /other data this way.

Do check out all the options under F8 (including the VGA mode) before installing the fresh copy.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried all the options under F8 that seemed relevant and it restarted for each.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

take out all hardware except what is necessary (motherboard, video, ram, CPU, and HDD so you can install windows)
then see if it will crash during install
Old 01-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It is a laptop...that is not really easy. All I want to do is get Windows working, not reinstall it. In fact, I have no reason to believe that an install won't work, but that is not what I want to do.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
sbressler:

I don't know what is going on, but I really need a file off the computer and in Bart PE, there doesn't seem to be much way other than over the network to transfer a file. Can anyone help please?
If getting that file is on the top-priority then you shoud try to reinstall windows / install a fresh copy, just takes an hr.

--Vikas

Closed Thread