Computer acting like Shift key is stuck - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer acting like Shift key is stuck

I'm having an issue where various programs are acting like the shift key is stuck down. For example, Firefox will treat CTRL-TAB as CTRL-SHIFT-TAB and everything I type is in caps. Sometimes if I bang on keys and minimize/maximize enough times this weird behavior will stop; but usually I have to restart the program. This only seems to happen to one program at a time. If it's happening in Firefox, I can go into another program I'm running and everything is working normally. And if it's happening in another program, Firefox will be fine.

I thought it may be some issue with the Accessibility Options, but I've turned all that off and still have the issues.

I'm running XP SP2 and use antispyware and antivirus programs regularly. I've also tried using another keyboard, but the problem persists.

Thanks for any help. This is happening 5 or more times a day while I'm working and is really a problem.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to King X13
Default Re: Computer acting like Shift key is stuck

the only thing i know of that causes this is in Accessibility options check the Sticky keys and filter keys options.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via MSN to Lesley

I had the same problem a while back, i tried running my anti spyware programs but nothing was detected. I decided to download another spyware remover which DID detect a couple viruses on my pc. I haven't had that problem since.

It may be something completely unrelated, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Could just be a scrap of paper or something in there. Take a picture of your keyboard, pop all the keys off with a small screwdriver, clean out the keyboard, wash the keys, replace the keys.
Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Closed Thread