Complicated Windows boot up issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Well for some time,i've bee trying to get ubuntu working on my dad's computer, but busebox kept getting in the way. So i went ahead and installed Xandros, i'm actualy not to sure why, i was sorta thinking i could install ubuntu over Xandros, or maybe it would reconize it, i'm not sure. But either way, my dad wasn't liking Xandros and told me to just forget trying to install Linux for the time being. So with partition 7.0 i went and formatted the hard drive and turned his slave drive back to NTFS. Unfortunatly the dual-boot screen for Xandros kept coming up, even with it gone. And so i tried configuring the "boot.ini" but everything seemed good.

Anyways getting to the point, i think i might have changed something in the boot.ini or something, because my dad was missing a file since his "Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced tab/Startup and Recovery" came up with a message saying he was missing a "boot.ini" So i re-copied the boo.ini in like 2 places where it was missing. Rebooted the computer and the dual boot screen still came up. So instead i trying changing something in the Boot.ini file. This is what i changed it to:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

After after rebooting this message came up " cannot find file, may be corrupt. Please re-install or replace "WINDOWS/system32/Hal.dll"

I tried using CHKDSK to fix the problem, still it persisted. I was thinking of using my usb to copy over the hal.dll file over, except it only lets me get to the recovery mode through command line.

Anyways i'm not sure if this is very clear, but the simple version is. My dad's computer fails to boot and is missing the "WINDOWS/system32/Hal.dll" file.

Hope someone can help.

Regards, blue4paper

You need the XP CD. As you need to get into the Recovery Console to repalce the hal.dll file that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom