Compatibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdansjr

In Runtime
Ok, my wife went and and purchased today, without asking or even searching about, a video in card so that she could put our home movies on the computer. She picked up a Pinnacle Studio AV/DV card Version 9. First, is that a good card, or are there better ways to get home movies on the computer. Second, if it is a good card, it states that I need to have DirectX 9. Currently I have DX5. I did try to install DX9 a few weeks ago, and there were a few issue with it and I just did a system restore and went back to having DX5. How do you know if your video card is even able to support DX9? I am just using the onboard video adapter which is SiS 650_740. Is there a website that will tell me if that will support DX9? oh and the computer is 4 years old.

dx9 is like an update package

your hardware does not need to be dx9 to function with it, you just won't beneift greatly if your hardware is an older gen card.

Dx5, that's far back from DX9. Not sure why such a disparity.

Hardware wise, you don't REQUIRE a package like what your wife purchased. Such things make it easier for non technical computer users.

There are numerous ways to IMPORT video to the pc and that may have been your only option, but of course, I am not sure. You are able better to determine that.

Video can be tranferred to your personal computer by way of:

usb
firewire
cd/dvd/flash to pc...depending of course

cam corder to vcr to video card...all depending...etc

VHS tape to video transfer service, ala booths in department stores/malls...photo labs and even places like kinkos

It's a big confusing world out there huh...but that's the beauty of DX...tries to make it less confusing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom