Comp keeps restarting on idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

haGGard

In Runtime
Hi...

Recently, my computer has started restarting all by itself when left on idleing. It never restarts when i am using it, but will restart when i leave it on, and i go and do something else...

I recently installed Windows blinds, Object Desktop, and IconPackager. I have since unistalled Object Desktop and Iconpackager, and this is when the problem started... (when they were uninstalled)

Now everytime i log on i get an error message that winlogon.exe has crashed and i send an error report.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Winlgon is for the logon studio application from wincustomize. Plus it is the logon for windows (duh on my part) but i know that logon studio affects this. Have you tried a registry cleaner? CCleaner or Registry Repair. This might help but the exact error message will help.

When did this start happening ?

1. Any new Apps ?
2. Any new hardware ?
3. Any new spyware/adware detected ?

Have you scanned your machine recently ?
zetob restarts machines !

It started happening after i uninstalled IconPackager, i then uninstalled ObjectDesktop as well and it continues to restart...

No new hardware...no spyware...

How do i perform a 'registry cleaner'?

Would a system restore help fix the problem?

There is a program call System mechanic that works real well. It can does alot of thien such as registry clean up and remove unused registry items safely. Search it up on google check it out.

Well, If you do a system restore you can lose new data.
If you want a reg cleaner, I have seen some reg cleaners advertised by some of the users on this forum.
One i have seen is called Ccleaner.

Kinda sounds like one of those apps might have been sharing files/dll's with the system. If the uninstaller deleted those files, you could be seeing the affect of this.

A good rule of thumb, is to cronologically backout of issues.
ex: whatever you uninstalled last, install it again. And so forth.

See exactly what app may have been causing this issue.

I just tried reinstalling them and uninstalling them... Object dock uninstalled fine, but icon packager "encountered a problem" when i hit the uninstall button, yet it still let me uninstall them...

The first time i uninstalled the programs, it said that " some files are no longer in use, but might be shared with other apps. Do you want to remove these files?" I clicked yes. Could this have been the problem?

Though it did not ask me this question just now when i came to uninstalling them...

That makes sense... The issue is coming from the uninstallation of these shared files... The bad thing is that the "Installation" of these apps won't re-create or re-install these sys files. The reason that it didn't ask you to delete these same shared files this time, is b/c they have already been deleted.

Solution: although tedious, If you have an OS disk you can select "repair" on the installation and that "MIGHT" take care of this issue.

Make sure you uninstall this problematic app prior to the repair.

* thats what i would try first *

So sys restore would not work :(

I have a windows XP CD installation disk that i 'aquired'. Would that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom