Comp freezes up after bout half an hour - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Comp freezes up after bout half an hour

Hey I just bought a store bought PC for my gf. I wanna try to avoid doing a fresh install of everything, but I notice after about half an hour of idling everything just freezes up, it comes back just fine but I mean the screen saver stops moving, if you're doing any serious work on it it stops doing it. I know this has got to be a Bios or Windows setting somewhere I just have no idea where. I've checked the usual **** like system in the control panel. I'm just gonna double check the bios right now. And wow... now I see why people always say their PC is so ****ty... I've always custom built them and just slapped them together for the past 10 years. I had no idea how much **** you have to go in and change and remove. Anyway any ideas would help right now.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Check also the temps.Could be overheating.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's more than likely it's a software issue !

it could be some programs running at the background !!

you can try to disable startup items by doing msconfig !

have you tried to keep it in the save mode for some time ?? will it freeze overthere too ??
Old 11-22-2006, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

I wonder if it the screen saver causing the problem?
Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Is it only when the screen saver is on or at other times as well?

Have you run a diagnostic on all the various hardware components? (RAM, etc)

Is there any P2P software running that could be eating up resources?
"i would never use a firewall, even without a router protecting me. Firewalls are just wastes of memory."
name omitted to protect the innocent

the cake is a lie
Old 11-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried turning off the screen saver... same thing.

I don't think it's overheating cause usually they don't turn back on after. And even though it's a store bought piece of ****... I assume the atleast cool properly and I haven't added any upgrades to it so it should cool sufficiently.

I'll try safe mode and I'll see what alls running in the BG...

I uninstalled most of the **** that came with this PC thought I got it all but you never know right. Seriously I used to be so confused when Mac adds would come on. I'd be left sitting there wondering which PC would do that sorta stuff they're making fun of... now I understand what's going on... they're putting $500 Dells up against $4000 G5s...
Old 11-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Is it to late to just get your money back? That's what I usually do when I buy a computer from a retailer for someone if it doesn't function properly. Get your money worth it, I don't think it's worth trying to fix it unless it's your own custom build. Most likely it could just be a defective hardware or product.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I think a good format would fix it... but I really wanna try to avoid that. Ya I've always had custom built... I don't think it's defective but probably some safety setting or energy saving thing in Windows Acer has turned on for me. Ya unfortunately too late to get my money back... I'll keep looking through these settings. I ran Hijack this last night and tried looking through all the processes they look ok. I'm sure it's some Windows setting in the system menu but can't find it for the life of me.

Closed Thread