command prompt secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainstushar

Baseband Member
i would like to know command prompt secrets.

when i type help in cmd, it only gives me stupid unimportant list of commands.

i want to know the real deal like taskkill and expand

any websites that can help me?

If you create a shortcut and put the following in. This it gives a kinda help with all the commands and parameters for those commands. Note that if your using XP home then some of the listed commands aren't there or the command name is different.

%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

is there any way to get those commands to work for xp home?
The commands listed are all the commands that can be done. But with XP home it has some differently named commands and some which take different parameters. For example in XP Home there is tskill, but in that list its is called taskkill, there are different, I think tskill takes less parameters than taskkill. To find command parameters use the /? after the command.

from http://www.networkclue.com/os/Windows/commands/index.aspx

bootcfg (XP only)
This utility allows you to set up your boot options, such as your default OS and other loading options.
cacls (XP, 2000, & NT4.0)
Changes the ACLs (security Settings) of files and folders. Very similar to chmod in Linux.
comp (XP & 2000)
This utility is very similar to diff in Linux. Use the /? switch to get examples of command usage.
contig (NT4.0 and newer)
A great defrag utility for NTFS partitions.
defrag (XP only - NT4.0 and Win2k use contig)
Yes, XP comes with a command line disk defrag utility. If you are running Win2k or NT4.0 there is still hope. Contig is a free defrag program that I describe on the defrag page.
diskpart (XP only)
Use this command to manage your disk partitions. This is the text version for the GUI Disk Manager.
driverquery (XP only)
Produces a list of drivers, their properties, and their versions. Great for computer documentation.
fsutil (XP only)
This is a utility with a lot of capability. Come back soon for great examples.
getmac (XP & 2000)
This command gets the Media Access Control (MAC) address of your network cards.
gpresult (XP & 2000)
This generates a summary of the user settings and computer group policy settings.
ipconfig (XP, 2000 & NT4.0)
This handy tool displays IP settings of the current computer and much more.
MMC (XP, 2000 & NT4.0) - Microsoft Management Console
This is the master tool for Windows, it is the main interface in which all other tools use starting primarily in Windows 2000 and newer systems.
msconfig (XP only)
The ultimate tool to change the services and utilities that start when your Windows machine boots up. You can also copy the executable from XP and use it in Win2k.
msinfo32 (XP &smp; 2000)
An awesome diagnostic tool. With it you can get a list of running processes, including the residing path of the executable (great for manually removing malware) and get detailed information about hardware and system diagnostics.
netsh (XP & 2000)
A network configuration tool console. At the 'netsh>' prompt, use the '?' to list the available commands and type "exit" to get back to a command prompt.
openfiles (XP Only)
Allows an administrator to display or disconnect open files in XP professional. Type "openfiles /?" for a list of possible parameters.
Pathping (XP & 2000)
A cross between the ping and traceroute utilities. Who needs Neotrace when you can use this? Type "pathping <ip address>" and watch it go.
recover (XP & 2000)
This command can recover readable information from a damaged disk and is very easy to use.
reg (XP & 2000)
A console registry tool, great for scripting Registry edits.
schtasks (XP only)
A newer version of the AT command. This allows an administrator to schedule and manage scheduled tasks on a local and remote machines.
secedit (XP & 2000)
Use this utility to manually apply computer and user policy from your windows 2000 (or newer) domain. Example to update the machine policy: secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce
To view help on this, just type secedit.
NOTE: In Windows XP this command is superceded by: gpupdate /force
sfc (XP & 2000)
The system file checker scans important system files and replaces the ones you (or your applications) hacked beyond repair with the real, official Microsoft versions.
shutdown (XP & 2000)
With this tool, You can shut down or restart your own computer, or an administrator can shut down or restart a remote computer.
sigverif (XP only)
Microsoft has created a driver signatures. A signed driver is Microsot tested and approved. With the sigverif tool you can have all driver files analysed to verify that they are digitally signed. Just type 'sigverif' at the command prompt.
systeminfo (XP only)
Basic system configuration information, such as the system type, the processor type, time zone, virtual memory settings, system uptime, and much more. This program is great for creating an inventory of computers on your network.
tasklist (XP pro only)
Tasklist is the command console equivalent to the task manager in windows. It is a must have when fighting scumware and viruses. Try the command:
tasklist /svc
to view the memory resources your services take up.
taskkill (XP only)
Taskkill contains the rest of the task manager functionality. It allows you to kill those unneeded or locked up applications.

well i know that

well, i already know that, but when it says xp, it means xp pro, i have home but my question is how do i run command in home?

how do i run command in home?
Just like you would with other commands, type it into the command prompt and stuff happens. If you not sure about using Command then look it up on the web. There isn't anything different in how you do it with XP Home or Pro.

i know how to use cmd. the mian problem is that there are some commands (like taskkill) are only available in pro version. in xp home, when i type taskkill, it says that there is no such command as Taskkill.

The question is: how to copy xp pro commands to xp home, without buying xp pro development kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom