Command Prompt Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmtxm

Beta member
Where do you find on your computer your username and password to log into Command Prompt. Every tutorial I go to says get it from system administrator. What? I am confused. Its driving me crazy. I want to learn commands but I need to log in first. Thanks in advanced.

Are you the administrator on your computer? You can just enter your account name and password and it should work fine.

I have tried that but it doesn't work. When I type in my username it comes up with...
Julia is not recognized as an internal or external command. operable program or batch file. Is there a command so I can log in.

If it is saying your name is not a command, it sounds like you're not at the proper login box. When you're in terminal that requires a login (such as Ubuntu Server, which has no graphical interface) you would get prompted with a login. Likewise, if you're in terminal in a regular Ubuntu install, you would not get a login because you're already in as that user.

Can you give us more detail about your setup? I'm not so sure we're all on the same page, however we'd like to help if we knew more!

Wait. Is this Linux or windows? :tongue: if windows you can just right click and select run as administrator.

In Linux, don't you type "login" to get to the login shell? I think that's it..

I am the administrator of the computer and trying command prompt on Windows. When I open command prompt this is what it comes up with...

Microsoft Windows [version 6.1 7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Cooperation. All rights reserved.
C:/Users/Julia>
Am I already logged in?

Thanks so much.
I have another question. What is the difference between a telnet program like putty and command prompt. Are they the same thing.

telnet and SSH are for communicating with remote machines. A telnet/SSH client will present the user with the prompt from the remote machine, for example, if you're on a Windows PC and you use telnet to log onto a remote UNIX machine, the prompt and programs that you can access are of the UNIX machine. The programs that you invoke also run on the UNIX machine.

I think a more accurate comparison would be between something like Cygwin and Command Prompt... Cygwin emulates a Linux shell inside Windows. It isn't' perfect, but it gets the job done ;) Command prompt is the Windows version of a terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom