Codecs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbmxdave

In Runtime
Hello, I recently formatted my computer and reinstalled windows xp, I did save some movie files also, but I cant play them because windows media player cannot get the right codecs, The sound plays ok, but I cant get any image.
I am running Windows Media Player 10, and I have been onto the microsoft website and downloaded their codec packages. but it just doesnt have the right ones
when I try to play these movie files it says at the bottom of Windows media player:
"connecting"
"connecting to codec server"
"sending request for codec"
"connecting to codec server"
"sending request for codec"
"error downloading codec"

How do I find out what Codec I need for the movie files.
Where do I get them from?
And where do I put them?
Any help would be much appreciated
Thxs :)

Heres some:

codecs

The Player has tried to automatically download the codec from the codec server, but the codec is not available for download. Typically, this error message is displayed if the required codec is a non-Microsoft codec. Non-Microsoft codecs are constantly being created and improved for a variety of digital media formats, so it is common to not have the necessary codec to play a certain file.

To find codecs, click the Web Help button in the message. A Web page on WMPlugins.com opens and displays additional information about the missing codec. If the manufacturer has registered the codec with Microsoft, you will be able to download the codec from the Web page.

Note Sometimes when the Player can't play a file, an error message is not displayed. Instead, the item in Media Library turns orange and an exclamation point (!) is displayed. To display the error message, right-click the file, and then click Error Details.

If the manufacturer has not registered the codec with Microsoft, the codec identifier (either a FourCC code or WaveFormat ID) is displayed on the Web page. To find non-registered codecs, do the following:
Go to the Registered FourCC Codes and WAVE Formats Web page on the MSDN Web site.
Find the codec identifier (FourCC code or WaveFormat ID) on the Web page.
Review the additional information provided for the codec identifier, such as the manufacturer (Company Name) and Description.
Use this information to search the Internet for a trustworthy software provider of your codec.

FOURCC Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom