codec's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you only have 1 CD/DVD Drive? HAve you tried it in another PC? Is it just 1 gtame or all games? Have you tried to make a ISO of the disc and mount it and run it that way?

Yes only 1 Cd is in the drive. It is every game that requires the CD in the drive, and yes I have used a few of the games on another PC. No I have not tried making an ISO of the disc and mounting it.. I have no idea how to do that hehe.

How old is the drive? I have never heard of this issue. Has to be something with the drive failing.

Well I have an XPS 410.. It's about 3 - 4 years old.. I have never replaced the CD-ROM Drive / HDD.

Someone actually recommended getting a new CD-ROM drive.. saying the 'reader' (I guess the device on it that decodes or reads the DVD's) was broken, but it obviously isn't if I can watch movies with Video LAN Center.

i believe you have a conflict with some software app that is running...
perhaps an anti-v or simliar...

do you have/use MS intellipoint or Norton?

if so or if not...disable some of your start up apps to determine which is the offending culprit

on something similar...your system load may be too great...ie., above 60%

clean your system....

also...is this "game" or games made for Win XP or a prior windows...

update your pc and make sure you rid it of any spyware, malware, bloat

Atomic, should I try starting up the game in Safe Mode, that way I know if it's a background-app interfering? And I do not have either of those apps you stated in your post. My system was able to play these games long before this error, it just started happening randomly.. They are all current games, like Rainbow 6 vegas 2, C&C Generals, Battlefield 2, etc.

The CD's are not scratched, the drive came with the XPS so I don't think it's dirt ****** but it's certainly not top of the line (LOL it's DELL!), and my RAM is fine.. My PC is mostly clean, I have a lot of stuff on it, but it's not over-flowing, so I should be fine with my gaming..

Again, Do you suggest I try runnning a game in safe mode??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom