cmd.exe doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, to get any application to run from the command menu, i have to add it's executable in the system32 folder?
MvD,

Its not like that. You can have executable files in any path and run them from the prompt. All you need is to setup 'path' in the environment variables.
So if you have 'abc.exe' in 'c:\folder1' , then adding the path 'c:\folder' to the system variables will allow you to run it anywhere from the prompt.

Here's a link to change,add variables ...[ for XP]
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...dm_advancd_environmnt_addchange_variable.mspx

So I have to path ever command there is? All I've got in the variables list is TEM and TEMP folders....

MvD said:
So I have to path ever command there is? All I've got in the variables list is TEM and TEMP folders....

nah, you want to add the folders that hold the executables to the path statement. Typically c:\windows;c:\windows\system32;c:\windows\command

What happens is when you enter the command in cmd, the system looks for the executable you entered in the folder you ran it from. Then it checks each folder in the path statement for the exe. If it doesn't find the executable, it reports the error.

you'll want to click the new button to create a new variable and name it path

Hmm...that is pretty wierd. Are any other commands working other than "ping"? If so, you might just have to suck it up and get used to not pinging with command prompt.

-Dan The Man

csamuels said:
nah, you want to add the folders that hold the executables to the path statement. Typically c:\windows;c:\windows\system32;c:\windows\command

What happens is when you enter the command in cmd, the system looks for the executable you entered in the folder you ran it from. Then it checks each folder in the path statement for the exe. If it doesn't find the executable, it reports the error.

you'll want to click the new button to create a new variable and name it path

Wow thanks, it seems the path command has stolen by GTK for windows, wtf? Why would it need to do this? And Gtk isn't spyware or anything....

some apps will try to append their folders path to the path statement so they can use relative addreses, just like your doing with ping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom