Closing/disabling Anti Virus/Spyware shields - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2005, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Closing/disabling Anti Virus/Spyware shields

I wasn't sure which category to post this in, I hope this one is OK. I've noticed many software programs tell you to "close or disable any Anti Virus programs" before running them so you have more RAM available for the program. I use Cubase SL3 to record music, which if you have a lot of tracks recorded on and instruments loaded, it eats up resources. I just want to know if it's OK to close/disable Anti Virus programs/Spyware shields whilst using programs such as this. I would always open them back up when going online of course. I have AVG Anti Virus(free one) and use Spysweeper and Spyware Blaster to protect my system. If these are turned off whilst I am OFFLINE, is my system under no risk? BTW I'm using Windows XP home.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to southernlady Send a message via Yahoo to southernlady

IF you are offline, using SP2 and have a router on the system, and PAUSE your firewall/and A/V, you should be fine...but make sure you have SP2 on your system. Liz

<font size=\"1\"><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">Priority Computers</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">AdAware SE</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">SpyBot-Search & Destroy</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">SpywareBlaster</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">SpywareGuard</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">HijackThis</a> | <font color=\"red\"> <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">Stealing is illegal</font></a> <form action=\"\" method=\"get\"><br />
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search Tech-Forums!\"></form><font size=\"1\"><i>Powered by Emily!</i></font><br />
<br />
Old 03-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks for your reply Southern Lady - yeah I have SP2. I'm not sure what you mean by a router though. Like I said, most programs that eat up RAM recommend you temporarily close down these things, so I was pretty sure it'd be OK - just wanted to check here to gauge some others opinions.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

This is a batch file that turns off several Windows XP services that may inhibit your system performance while playing games, or while your PC does other high-performance tasks. "Stopservices.cmd" turns them all off. You can download the "Startservices.cmd" file if you want a single command to turn them back on again; Otherwise, you can just reboot your PC and the services will be back the way they were when Windows restarts.

You can customize each file by right-clicking the file and selecing the Edit menu command. To run the files, move them into your C:\Windows\System32 folder, then click Start, Run, and type either stopservices or startservices, depending on what you want to do.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks warez - much appreciated. Anyone else got anything to add?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Just add more ram for cubase and dont worry about it. You can never have enough ram for audio editing (complex).

Closed Thread