Cloning Win7 On USB to Install on New HDD?

Struzinski

Baseband Member
Merry Christmas everyone! I need a bit of help with installing an operating system on a new hard drive. I'm not sure how Windows works with OS installation since I've never done it before; every computer I've owned had the OS factory loaded on HDD and never had to replace. However, now I'm building my gaming PC and I'm looking to put a copy of Windows 7 onto the SSD I got. Right now, I have a laptop with a regular SATA drive in it. But would it be possible to copy the OS from this HDD to install it on the SSD? Preferably USB just because I don't have an optical drive for it. I'm just trying to save money and trying to avoid purchasing another copy.

I know it's possible to make a recovery USB, but do recovery USBs actually have the power to install the OS onto the new SSD? I figured there would be some sort of issue there due to the ridiculous hardware changes from this computer to my gaming PC. Any help or support would be appreciated!

my sig has a link descibing how to move your install to a new drive. it is almost the exact senario except the usb part. im not sure ho you can get a pc to boot windows off usb.

the usb has to be plugged to the pc b4 u go into boot menu. i just boot the pc with the usb already plugged. i remember the first time i went into boot menu b4 plugging the usb and dint show u can also change the boot order in bios to the usb.
i have used this myself for the last year and a half. worked great so far
Microsoft Store
wen i got my ssd it came with a cloning software i dont if urs did u might be able to clone it and just plug the drive in the other pc.
u can download a copy of windows from Microsoft if u already have a cd kay

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom