Cloning whole computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyzk1

Beta member
Hi There,

I have a server with windows server 2003 installed. The HD's are 4 SCSI HDD's in RAID format.
One of the drives is malfunctioning and there is a lot of very important data on this computer including programs that I don't have their installation disks.
I don't want to risk anything so I need a good solution.
What I want to do (and I want to know if it is possible) is to create a full system clone and move it all to a different computer. I need it to be a 1:1 clone that I could use any program installed on the all computer including all the databases on the new computer.
Once I confirm that everything is working I will replace the damaged SCSI drive and move the clone back to the server.
Is there such a software?

There is clonezilla. You can not run the OS on a different motherboard. But you could put it as a secondary drive and read the data off of it. I believe. What RAID are you running?

Clonezilla is what you want.

As long as you aren't using RAID 0 (which with 4 drives you shouldn't be) clonezilla will only see one drive because of the RAID array. Then clone that one drive (which is physically 4 drives but logically one).

Then replace the drive.

Although depending on your RAID controller, it should have firmware that would rebuild the array. I have a cheap ass raid controller and it has this function, i would hope a server raid controller that is running server 2003 would have this option as well.

Worst case scenario just make a copy of the entire drive from windows onto an external drive to be extra safe.

That's what i'm thinking, rebuilding the array with the firmware should do this for you. It detects when you are losing a drive and should allow you to replace the drive then rebuild the array.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom