clone

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
with the release of windows 10 coming soon (i already have a copy reserved), i have decided that i want to clone the hard drive before windows 10 wipes it clean. just in case something goes terribly wrong. either in the process of loading the new software, or setting it up. my rational for doing so is a working windows 8.1 is better than a non functioning windows 10. and, since i have several files, folders, and databases i would not want to loose, i am hoping that i will be able to copy them from the clone, and paste them into 10. i remember reading on this board about cloning a drive, but i tried to find it in "search", but i had no luck. can someone please help me to find a "how to" for this, and give me a few pointers. as i have never done it before. also, i just had a thought, i should be able to clone the 10 o.s. once it is installed, so i have a back up copy in case it somehow gets screwed up. kind of like system restore discs of previous versions of windows. at least i hope so. or maybe it will have such a provision built in???

Use clonezilla to take an image of your harddrive. In terms of copying files - yes they can just be copied from a windows backup or even just a USB stick.

with the release of windows 10 coming soon (i already have a copy reserved), i have decided that i want to clone the hard drive before windows 10 wipes it clean. just in case something goes terribly wrong. either in the process of loading the new software, or setting it up. my rational for doing so is a working windows 8.1 is better than a non functioning windows 10. and, since i have several files, folders, and databases i would not want to loose, i am hoping that i will be able to copy them from the clone, and paste them into 10. i remember reading on this board about cloning a drive, but i tried to find it in "search", but i had no luck. can someone please help me to find a "how to" for this, and give me a few pointers. as i have never done it before. also, i just had a thought, i should be able to clone the 10 o.s. once it is installed, so i have a back up copy in case it somehow gets screwed up. kind of like system restore discs of previous versions of windows. at least i hope so. or maybe it will have such a provision built in???

I already have cloned my whole hard drive with free easeus todo backup to an external hard drive. The external hard drive is smaller than the HDD. I thought I have to buy a larger new one. But it still works out. Clonezillar, as suggested by i2D__, is also good. It is open source software. I just personally prefer something with better look and few working steps.

Back
Top Bottom