Clean windows install, large amounts of system resources used

PopetheRevXXVIII

Beta member
317fbso.jpg

I'll start up my laptop leave it for a few minutes and without opening anything it's using this much memory and I don't understand why.

I just got it back from a tech who did a clean install for me and it was doing this before I installed anything. Is windows using this much memory when the system is doing nothing normal did these tech screw something up?

This is bothering me I'm used to only having less than a gig in use at once.

My OS is Windows 7 ultimate sp1 with all updates installed.

You only have ~1.8GB of RAM being used, and that's by processes that are running at that time. Possibly some that are configuring Windows things and updates since you said its a fresh install.

The Standby section is stuff that is "used up" but will be freed up if the memory is needed - this is loaded with programs that you open regularly that are cached in memory (this is called SuperFetch). So Standby + Free = ~2GB free still.

So it's nothing to really worry about then?

The problem seems to have resolved it self after instead of putting the computer to sleep or restarting it, I simply shut it down and turned it back on. I left it for about 20 minutes and the resources were at a nice steady 1 gig. Rather than the actual inuse shooting up the standby section did.

But I still have no idea what that happened to begin with.

He already explained to you what happened. It's nothing to worry about either way. It's easier to gauge actual RAM usage by looking at the task manager itself rather than resource monitor.

It's doing it again

The file that keeps hogging my resources is SVCHost.exe (Netsvcs)

It's fine. It's most likely the Windows Update service checking for updates, organizing the update databases stored locally on your machine, and/or installing updates in the background.

If you're that worried about it, Process Monitor

Then you can see what sub-processes are using svchost.exe

Can also change the Windows Update settings from "auto update" to "check for updates but do not install" then you'll just be notified when there's new updates, but it won't download/install them until you tell them to.

Either way, unless it's a virus... svchost is normal. If you're that worried about RAM, buy more.. Windows 7 is very good at managing memory and it doesn't often run out unless you have a ton of stuff running that exceeds both the normal RAM capacity + page file size.

Back
Top Bottom