Clean install for XP, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcakes

Beta member
First off - Heey, new member first time posting here. :) I did a quick swoop of the search and stickies, couldn't find a solution to my problem so here goes -

Alright so my OS is a bit messy and i really need to reinstall it (it's XP MC btw) and i got these four CDs that i got with my computer (that i bought like.. 2+ years ago). So i tried to enter setup and install it on my C partition where my OS is currently installed but it says that because there's already an OS there, there might be malfunctions.

I chose the full/clean install when i inserted the first disc during a safemode session, as i guess that upgrading is just good if you have another version of windows installed. So it asked me for the key, gave me some options, rebooted and entered setup. And there i noticed there was a "delete partition" option, but will that just erase the partition itself or will it wipe it clean for me to install the OS on?

So any pointers as to how i can get my system to replace-install XP is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edit - I aborted the install after i noticed the message about possible malfunctions, and i'm working in safemode right now. So no, i didn't mess my system up that badly... I hope *prays*

2nd edit - Ok so i guess i could've formatted the C: but booting the recovery disc won't let me do that. It says it can't because there's files the installer needs to finish the install. So how else can i do this? I found this program called Gparted that i can burn and boot and then have my way with partitions. Dare i use it?

Installing Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Maybe that will be of help. But to answer you question, deleting the partition will remove the partition along with any data that there is on there now. So if you have personal data like pictures, documents or anything like that you want to save, get them backed up now to DVD or something.

What you want to do after you back up is format the partition. From there continue the install process. This will get you a nice clean install of XP. From there install the updates, your protection (something like Microsot Security Essentials to protect against spyware/malware/virues) and your programs.

The disk should let you do it, but if it gives issues, then by all means use GParted. It is a great tool.

Installing Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Maybe that will be of help. But to answer you question, deleting the partition will remove the partition along with any data that there is on there now. So if you have personal data like pictures, documents or anything like that you want to save, get them backed up now to DVD or something.

What you want to do after you back up is format the partition. From there continue the install process. This will get you a nice clean install of XP. From there install the updates, your protection (something like Microsot Security Essentials to protect against spyware/malware/virues) and your programs.

The disk should let you do it, but if it gives issues, then by all means use GParted. It is a great tool.

Okies, thanks :) but yeah it's a no-go, ****** CD -_- I also have partition magic, can it help me? Cause i think i'd rather use it because i had to burn GParted on a DVD and i'm not 100% on if it can still boot :S

As long as the Optical Drive is set to boot first in the BIOS you should be good to go. Using Partition Magic will get you no where and fast. As you have to operate within Windows to use it. Can't format Windows if your using it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom