Chronic Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erilis

Solid State Member
Symptoms I'm getting now:
(Win XP Prof) Every time after I get to my desktop my computer restarts. The only way I can use it now is to run it in safe mode. But I can't get onto the internet in any way (I'm typing on my laptop right now instead).
I disabled automatic restart when Windows encounters an error and I found the blue screen of death where ever it would usually restart. I don't get it in safe mode except for when I go into the hardware tab in System Properties and either try to update a driver for or look at the properties of one of the devices.

Possible Causes & Solution(?): I recently got Comcast internet service and installed everything I need for that. I recently installed a new coin battery for the CMOS on the motherboard (that fixed a CMOS error message I was getting during boot up). I recently installed an update for my Nvidia driver. I'm not sure where to begin; should I remove (in add/remove programs) all Nvidia drivers?

Symptoms I used to get (just FYI):
Sometimes when my XP computer starts up the user screen appears in low resolution and very low color (4 bit). If I go into the desktop and try to adjust the monitor settings it won't allow me to change the res or the color. I have to restart until the user screen is back at its normal settings (often just one restart).
A separate (but likely related) problem is that my desktop appears with Windows Classic Style appearance and when I try to change this there is no option for Windows XP Style. The only way to get it back to XP style is to either restart until it starts with this style or, oddly enough, just wait a while and check if the XP style is available (which sometimes it will be).
Another issue is that my computer has been restarting on its own occasionally (at random times). After it restarts and I get to my desktop I get a “Windows has recovered from a serious error” message.
Also, my desktop icons move around almost every time I get to my desktop, but sometimes (noticeably when I'm not having any of the afore mentioned problems) they will be in the correct order that I organized them in.
Also when I scroll up or down in windows (like internet browsers or Win Explorer) there's a lag and it doesn't scroll down smoothly. It's all choppy and forces me to use page up/down buttons in order to see anything.
Sometimes when I start up my computer and get to my desktop I receive this message: "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

I did a virus scan with Kaspersky and did not detect any viruses.

----
Please help!

We need the BSOD error codes. Stop Error 0X000000ZZ shopuld be what it looks like. That will give us more information about what is causing this problem. Unless you have the minidump files from teh C:\Windows\minidump folder which you could share for analysis.

it said
BAD_POOL_CALLER
*** STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00000000, 0xFFDFFFFE)
Physical memory dump complete

BAD_POOL_CALLER

A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to perform an illegal memory allocation. The problem can often be traced to a bug in a driver or software. It is also occasionally caused by a failure in a hardware device. You can find detailed debugging instructions for this error in Knowledge Base article 265879, "How to Debug 'Stop 0xC2' or 'Stop 0x000000C2' Error Messages."

Run MemTest86.

Memtest86 - Download Page

I've been running the memory test program but it has been taking more than 24 hours! How long does this usually take? :eek:

That is long enough. It jsut tests your memory. You have to tell us if it said if there was any bad spots or anything.

Well it says...
WallTime: 16:48:14
Cached: 2560M
RsvdMem: 20M
MemMap: e820Std
Cache: on
ECC: off
Test: Std
Pass: 4
Errors: 14
ECC Errs: 0

Error Confidence Value: 122
Lowest Error Address: 00000002000 - 0.1MB
Highest Error Address: 0005e39f691 - 1507.9MB
Bits in Error Mask: ffbbfe89
Bits in Error - Total: 24 Min: 1 Max: 18 Avg: 1
Max Contiguous Errors: 1
ECC Correctable Errors:
Errors per Memory Slot: 0: 69110 (and counting), 1: 4, 2: 0

Test-Errors:
0-1
1-0
2-0
3-0
4-0
5-32767
6-0
7-0
8-0
9-0
:freak:

You have bad RAM. Get some new RAM. This is what matter.

Pass: 4
Errors: 14

It should have all pass and no errors. Seeing only 4 pass and 14 errors shows that the RAM modules are bad.

I see. Okay thanks, I'll change the ram and run the test again. Do you think that's all that was causing it? I did install an Nvidia driver update without uninstalling the old ones. Couldn't that cause it too?

That would not cause these RAM errors. Those drivers have no effect from a LiveCD like MemTest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom