Choppy Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

htcs

In Runtime
I need Help!

Whenever i play any audio or video, my sound is choppy. It almost sounds like static.

Here's what i've got:

AMD Athlon XP (1.7 Ghz) (yeah i know... falling behind)
640 MB RAM
XP Pro SP2

Was using the On-Board audio card, since then i've disabled that in the BIOS and installed a SB PCI 128, the problem still continued.

So then i reformatted my computer (it was time for a spring cleaning anyway) and it's still doing the same thing! So today i picked up a Sound Blaster Live! from the junk box at work - installed it and yet again ... the problem is still here.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help.

Thanks

I know its not the wires... it only happens when you start an application or the system becomes busy.

No it's not on a raid. I have a 200GB Western on IDE1: Master and a Maxtor 120GB on IDE1:Slave, An LG DVD RW on IDE2:Master and an LG 52x32x52x CDRW on IDE2:Slave.

A bit more info: The sound comes out as if its 'coming from a robot' - or the crappy service that Rogers Wireless has around here! LOL

if its only when you open something then it is because of your cpu. basicly not much you can do... mine does the same thing when i open Word

Tried turning down the acceleration as you mentioned. Seems to have made a slight difference. I've set it to one step above emulation (i think it's set to basic).

Thanks for the advice!

it sounds to me like IRQ conflicts. Check your BIOS to see if everything is on a separate IRQ channel.

Another thing that MAY help is putting your sound card away from every other card in your computer. I had this problem on an old system with probably the same card you had (SB 128) and moving it away from all other cards did help.

I dont know why, but sometimes computers get confused if you have a network card and sound card... they get the IRQ settings mixed up and it causes the problem you are having.

I don't know if this will help you any because there are alot of reasons that you computer could be doing that... you just have to troubleshoot things one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom