CHKDSK start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarrettSR5

Solid State Member
Every time I start my computer, Windows Chkdsk comes up and says It is recomended I scan the disk to look for consistancy, why is it EVERY time I start and when it comes up, some how it auto cancels.
Also I am trying to use Partition Magic to create a new partition and its not working could it be because of the Chkdsk coming up?

Well, that's easy. First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and type " fsutil dirty query d: ". This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive

I did exactly what you told me to and it still tried to do a Chkdsk on both of my hard drives, C: and H: and it still auto canceled.

1. Click the Start button then select Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd or command
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking:
a. chkdsk c: /f /r and then press <Enter>

do that and reboot...

It returns this when I put exactly what you want me to:
untitled3xl.jpg

I noticed that I can stop it from starting on start up BUT when I try to make a partition and Partition Magic has to do its thing on start up, the Chkdsk will come up and try to do it and get canceled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom