chkdsk running over and over! help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
so i was repairing a laptop for my girlfriend... basic virus removal, speeding up, that sort of thing... cake... its a Pentium M Dell Inspiron 600m laptop running XP Home SP2, btw...

i scheduled chkdsk to run using TuneUp Utilities 2007... which was fine... restarted the comp... let chkdsk run... but when it got all the way through and restarted... it ran chkdsk again! and again! and its in this seemingly never-ending chkdsk loop thats preventing me from even logging in to windows! help! D:

thanks, guys... need any more details, let me know... :] - RK

Well, you could always just skip the check. Then tell TuneUp not to run chkdsk if you can, and do it manually through My computer -> right-click drive -> properties -> Tools -> check for errors.

Not 100% sure if that will work, worth a try tho ;)

Well, you could always just skip the check. Then tell TuneUp not to run chkdsk if you can, and do it manually through My computer -> right-click drive -> properties -> Tools -> check for errors.

Not 100% sure if that will work, worth a try tho ;)

it would be lovely if it was that easy...

but you see, it restarts after every time it runs chkdsk... which is BEFORE it even logs into Windows... and runs again... and restarts again... and so on...
so im actually locked entirely out of Windows by this loop :/

any other suggestions? :( - RK

But you can tell it not to run the check for about 5 seconds before the check starts, AFAIK. Or are you saying it restarts then as well?

But you can tell it not to run the check for about 5 seconds before the check starts, AFAIK. Or are you saying it restarts then as well?

nope...
doesnt give me the option to cancel the check before it starts for some reason... and it restarts after it finishes running the check... which only takes about 5 min on about its 12th run :/ - RK

Hmm, sorry I can't help you then :( See what someone else can come up with.

This is just a normal windows chkdsk, tuneup just makes the cmd prompt one look pretty, or schedules a windows one on boot. It appears though that a flag isn't being removed and it causing it to do it over and over, try pressing the space bar continuosly and see if that lets you back into windows, I mean from right after post, also try booting into safemode.

This is just a normal windows chkdsk, tuneup just makes the cmd prompt one look pretty, or schedules a windows one on boot. It appears though that a flag isn't being removed and it causing it to do it over and over, try pressing the space bar continuosly and see if that lets you back into windows, I mean from right after post, also try booting into safemode.

tried that, but to no avail...

had another idea tho! :D

i ended up going around the problem and making a Windows XP Home boot CD with SP3... so im just gonna boot from that... repair install windows, adding the SP3 (which i was gonna do anyways) and well see how things go from there...

thanks for the ideas tho, guys... ill let you know how that goes :] - RK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom