checking nvram.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
When you push the power button and the screen turns on, it lists the processor and then hangs at "checking nvram...."
I changed the ram, pulled the cmos battery and still does the same thing.

NVRAM is not the RAM that you install. It actually stands for Non-Volatile RAM. It is used for things that need to stay on yoru computer. It comes in a couple forms PROM, EPROM, EEPROM, and Flash.

PROM stands for Programmed Read Only Memory (once it is programed it can never be erased)
EPROM stands for Erasable PROM (they have to use a UV light to erase it and then it can be rewriten)
and EEPROM stands for Electronically EPROM (can just reprogram)

Depending on what you computer is having problems with it will prolly need a new motherboard. or a new memory chip...

Have you added any new hardware lately? Changed any of the Bios settings?

If you added any new hardware (Printer, video card, sound card) uninstall it and try to boot. Boot your computer with no deviced installed and see if this clears the boot sequence. If it does, then plug in one device at a time until your computer fails to boot. If this is the case, you now know what device is the problem.

If your computer still freezes with no devices installed, then try to reset your bios settings to default. make sure to save your settings before exiting.

If this still does not work, then you can try to flash your bios with an updated version for your mobo. If this does not work, then you prob have a bad mobo.

Good luck!

I can not even get into my bios. I pulled the battery and that did not help. I can not get to any type of boot screen such as from a cd, a floppy, enter safe mode, last good know config, nothing.

HMM.... TRY CHECKING THE VOLTAGE ON YOUR POWER SUPPLY. IT MAY BE A BAD POWER SUPLLY. ALSO, IT MAY BE WORTH CHECKING ALL OF YOUR FANS TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE WORKING. I WOULD CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS TO THE MOBO, MEMORY, IDE CABLES, POWER CONNECTORS, ANYTHING THAT IS CONNECTED TO YOUR BOARD UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL. IT COULD BE A BAD CONNECTION SOMEWHERE. IF THIS FAILS, THEN LIKE ALVIN SAID, IT IS A BAD OR CORRUPTED BIOS. GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom