Check this out.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Check this out..

RIAA either wrote this or had it written and distributed it. Ever heard of it?

Sophos virus analysis: W32/Nopir-B
W32/Nopir-B is a worm for the Windows platform.

W32/Nopir-B will display an anti-piracy image on the screen when run. The worm will then delete all COM and MP3 files from the computer. The worm will also disable taskmanager, registry tools, and access to the control panel. W32/Nopir-B will also check for debuggers and may attempt to disable any such software that it finds.

Experts at SophosLabs™, Sophos's global network of virus and spam analysis centres, have discovered a worm which has taken the law into its own hands against internet music pirates.

The W32/Nopir-B worm, which appears to have originated in France, spreads via peer-to-peer file-sharing systems posing as a hacked utility to make copies of commercial DVDs. However, in reality it displays an anti-piracy graphic, and attempts to delete all MP3 music files, disable various system utilities, and wipe .COM programs on the infected PC.

"The internet is swamped with people pirating movies and music, costing the entertainment industry millions each year. The Nopir-B worm targets people it believes may be involved in piracy, but fails to discriminate between the true criminals and those who may have MP3 files they have created themselves," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "Whichever side of the fence you come down on in regards to internet piracy, there's no debate about the criminal nature of this worm - designed to inflict malicious damage on people's Windows computers."

Internet pirates who have illegally distributed music files, movies and TV shows have been in the news recently as ISPs have been ordered in a number of cases to provide identitifying details of those individuals responsible so prosecutions can be brought against them. Last month, a Canadian man lost his job after it was found he had leaked the first episode of the eagerly anticipated BBC science fiction series "Doctor Who" onto the internet three weeks before its official broadcast.

Although there have only been a small reports of the worm, Sophos recommends computer users ensure their anti-virus software is up-to-date, and that companies protect themselves with a consolidated solution which can defend them from the threats of both spam and viruses.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member (again)

Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

HAHA...vigilante RIAA'ers...what is the world coming to...

Debian Support Forums!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Hahaha I think Warez just got the virus. I will say this as much as I hate piracy I did not design this worm.

But I fully support some of it's features besides the controll panal and the registry. I hope that no anti virus company will add this gem to it's definition file. About time a virus writer did something usefull.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

No, I didnt get a virus...I was reading the news and found out about it...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

A moral virus

Is there a download link
Is it legal to "distribute"
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Check this out..

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
Although there have only been a small reports of the worm, Sophos recommends computer users ensure their anti-virus software is up-to-date, and that companies protect themselves with a consolidated solution which can defend them from the threats of both spam and viruses.
I read this to mean that most anti-virus company see this as a virus, therefore they will stop it.. Why would RIAA ever build something like this when they know that legitimate anti-virus software will stop it?!

it's prob just someone who's bored with making normal viruses and made a toy..
browse with: opera
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

LMAO I love this toy.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

That it is aimed at music pirates is not in doubt, as when the worm-carried program is run it displays an image on the infected computer with an anti-piracy message. It then deletes all MP3 files it finds, along with files with a “.com” extension. Of course the key here is “all MP3 files", again, legitimate or not.

It also affects a user’s ability to access taskmanager, registry tools, and the control panel, making it nearly impossible to stop and remove once a system is infected.

Suggestions that this worm has been unleashed by the RIAA seem to be unfounded, although there was discussion several months ago that a certain consultant to the RIAA had been paid to create just such a software program.

As always, the best way to protect yourself is to make sure that your anti-virus software is working, and that its definitions are up-to-date.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yeah I know I'm must a bit amused at the thought of a moral virus for once. I hope that the code goes open source to the underground virus community and then a Nopir-C can be made that only destroys the mp3 and other commonly pirated file extensions. Ligit or not it's still worth it since it only spreads in P2P networks so almost all is not ligit. after all if it was ligit you wouldn't be on a P2P network.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to code28

that's a new one.. an anti-piracy virus.. somethin' new everyday..

Windows XP Pro (SP2) | Intel P4 3.4GHz | HT | 20" UltraSharp LCD 2007FP
3GB DDR2 (533 MHz) | 256MB ATi Radeon x800 PCI-E | Audigy 2 ZS | Logitech G5
Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 | EluminX S202-12 | Saitek x45 Flight Control System

http://www.userbars.net/userbars/computers/dell.png
Closed Thread