Chatting through cmd

Status
Not open for further replies.

GByte

Baseband Member
Im on a computer thats running win7 ultimate 64bit and im trying to chat through the command prompt as would be done on older OS using NET SEND.
What i researched do far tells me to use MSG.exe but when i do use it..ie MSG <IP/COMP NAME> 'Enter'
Im prompeted to "Enter message to send; end message by pressing CTRL-Z on a new line, then ENTER"
I continue and i get the error that "<IP/COMP NAME> does not exist or is disconnected"

Other sources says to create a notepad file with :
@echo off
:A
Cls
echo MESSENGER
set /p n=User:
set /p m=Message:
net send %n% %m%
Pause
Goto A

I do that and open that and its shows
Messenger
user:

I continue with taht and put user then it prompts
then a syntax message comes up and after pressing a key it clears as if i never type anything.
I am able to ping the computer i want top chat with but im not sure if im missing some type of other command or steps

Oh and im also being asked to enable messenger in the services.msc but have found out that its no longer used since the vista

Has anyone resolved this issue

Messenger service and alerter services

last post is as follows

If the tool is truly a service, permissions and domain based to other admins, try utilizing something from a company microsoft acquired. Sys Internals has many great admin tools, one allows you to use the Vista or Windows 7 box remotely to send itself msgs, thus ensuring remote compatibility.

I'd recommend you look into:

psexec.exe "Execute processes remotely"

Sysinternals Process Utilities

It's 8 down the page at the time of this posting.

Now I will admit you MUST ensure you understand the ramifications of using, storing or encoding usernames to get this to work, but admins of remote machines do not actually require typing passwords if you run the process as a user that is already an admin of the remote machine. So make sure your team understands the security required to make this type of solution work. However it's a great way to get legacy type systems to work remotely for machines that do not have licenses for software.

An example might be running a macro in a version of office you only have installed on one workstation because it's so old.

Hope this helps,
-
John

Thanks...but this is more of an administrators task method of using chat...n i tried it but still no dice
Is there some other form to enable chat in cmd from a standard users aspect
Similar to NET SEND or MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom