Changing from vista basic 32bit to 64bit last check

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM/PS1

In Runtime
I'm planning to upgrade to a 64bit os as 32bit just isn't cutting it anymore.

I just wanted to make sure my pc would work with a 64bit OS.

CPU: q6600.
MD: P35-DS3L.
Video: 8800GT.

I know that evga makes the proper video drivers for 64 bit but i'm not 100% sure on my sound card. I can always use the on-board sound if worse comes to worse.

If anyone could just tell me if i'm good to go for 64bit. Appreciate it.

happy new year.!! :)

you'll be surpirised how many things will actually work with Vista 64 and you don't always have to hunt them down yourself as windows update will find them for you most times if they were not already included in the install CD/DVD

as long as your MB and CPU are 64bit compatible

You have to check the manufacturer's website for compatible drivers. We dont know your hardware so you will have to do that. If you are unsure use something like Everest, Belarc Advisor or SiSandra Software. It will give you a detailed list of your hardware for you to search and find if they have drivers.

Also checking your PC manufacturer's website if it is pre-built should give you many answers as well.

If it is built by you just checking the various component websites will be more effective then asking us. With the hardware you listed i can say that Yes it will work. Vista 64 Bit is compatible with that CPU, mobo and Video card. But that doesnt mean your ethernet, sound and the rest will work. You have to check those as well.

Here is a nice topic on it.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

Mak is right .. it's been so long I forgot certan things like webcams, TV tuners and really old GPU cards may not work depending on how old they are.. but I had some stuff that was really old like my scanner that did.. infact my webcam was bought after Vista had already been out. works on x86 but not x64.

That is true as well. Some devices and manufacturer's just dont support 64 Bit. Some Digital Cameras dont have software that work on there as well as Web Cams, Mics, Gamepads, among various other things.

Those parts i listed are pretty much the only parts i have on my pc.

Wouldn't the Ethernet and sound card work since it's part of the MB.

Anyway i'll do a little more digging. This Pc isn't even a year old and everything was fairly top of the line so i'm not too worried.

No. The Ethernet Card and Sound card have specific drivers for them. All the Drivers you will need are listed in the Device Manager. There are drivers for everything. And when i say that i mean that.

There are drivers for USB ports. Just being part of the mobo doesnt mean anything if it cant communicate with the OS. Which is what the Drivers do.

Well generaly if the board is rated x64 the devices that are built in have to be rated.. ie,, the board manufacture has to update the instalation disc with all corasponding drivers or the board really wouldn't be x64 ready.

and if at time of release, drivers were outdated the manufacture would have to (should) have the updated versions for download off their site..

unless you were dealing with a less repitable/ unknown company.

unless your talking XP 64 or linux :D

then you're 100% on LOL

Kinda. The board can have 64 Bit support. That doesnt ensure that the devices will have drivers. Since the mobo manufacturer doesnt make the drivers. Most of them are 3rd party pieces built on to the mobo. Like the sound can be RealTek or SoundMax or even Intel. In which case it would be up to them to make the drivers for 64 Bit.

But it will be hard to find a mobo site that doesnt have 64 Bit drivers when it says 64 Bit compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom