Changing Username on Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

1veryrede

Beta member
How would I change the user name in the top of the Start Menu. I would like to ADD my computername to me UserName. So, I can see something like "%UserName% is on %ComputerName%" at the top of the Start Menu.

Assuming you have Windows XP,

You would go to the Control Panel > Users.

Click on the User you would like to edit and "Change User Name".

Unfortunately, I don't think Windows XP will allow you to use the Computer name as a user name.

I have many users running WinXp. When they call for tech support. I need there computer name...To remote into their pc. I is a pain to walk 50 users day through going their computer name. I would like to know if there is a way to get their computer name to display next to their User Name. At the top of the Start Menu. I have found a way to display this info, instead of the "My Computer" under the My Computer icon on the desktop. But, my company feels that would just confuse our some of our Novice Users.

1veryrede
you can put the computer name next to the user name in the top of the start menu.
what you do is:
1- go to control panel
2- double click the administrative tools
3- double click computer management
4- click on the local group and users
5- double click on users
6- right click on the user name
7- click rename
8- click at the end of the user name, space, type the computer name and pres enter
9- restart the computer and when the user click the start button they will see their user name and the computer name. for example: look at my snapshot it has the user name and the computer name. i hope this is what you talking about

Attachments

• rockyarms03ii-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 258
Try something simple like labeling the outside of the box with the machine name.

Or if they can, have them type the %computername% variable in the run menu.

attachment.php

You will see this message (or something similar) the computer name is in two places, on the top (blue bar) and inside the 'single quotation marks'.

Attachments

• bypass.zip
    26.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom