Changing letter of drive C: - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Changing letter of drive C:

Doing that will not solve you issue. It will first change the drive letter from with in that 2nd OS not the primary one you are trying to change. IT will have no effect on that system at all. In fact you could damage it and make it un-usable.

As stated a format will be the only way to get it to be the C:\ drive. Sorry. I know that is not the answer people want but it is the only answer that is true. Installing a 2nd OS will not affect the first ones drive lettering.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

This has happened to me and I was able to resolve it. All I did was add the conflicted hdd to another running computer with windows. From here you can see both partitions and if it hasn't been formated, format it so both are active. Now through computer management I set both drives to a letter but assigning the partition I wanted "C:" to any letter that comes before the second partition letter.

Now stick the hdd into the original computer and windows will detect the partition with the OS from boot and automatically assign the drive to "C:".

Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

But yet again your involves a format and reinstall. Which is what we are suggesting.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm not saying reformating. This can be done without the lost of any information. My two partitions switched letter drives due to Partition Magic and I did my method and booted up fine without reinstalling windows.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenesis View Post
This has happened to me and I was able to resolve it. All I did was add the conflicted hdd to another running computer with windows. From here you can see both partitions and if it hasn't been formated, format it so both are active. Now through computer management I set both drives to a letter but assigning the partition I wanted "C:" to any letter that comes before the second partition letter.

Now stick the hdd into the original computer and windows will detect the partition with the OS from boot and automatically assign the drive to "C:".
Right there. You say format. Which means to wipe the drive of all info. Data lose.

Unless you mean change the properties of the drive to make it a active system drive. Which you can do with GParted or Acronis Disk Director as well.

Closed Thread