Changing letter of drive C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

In Runtime
So, my computer had two partitions. Previously, I had C: as my system, and Z: as my storage. When I formatted, and reinstalled (keeping Z:) it renamed Z:, C:. So, system files are on D:. Is there any way I can change C:, back to Z:, then change D: to C:?

run>compmgmt.msc>storage>disk management> right click on the drive and click "change drive letter and paths"..and change it to what u want.

no. reinstall window. format partition

you should hit hit f3 to quit and restarted the install the last time. it you delete a partition and install windows it will notice the still formatted partition first

run>compmgmt.msc>storage>disk management> right click on the drive and click "change drive letter and paths"..and change it to what u want.

That would work except it's his system drive. I don't think it lets you change that letter. Not too sure on that one tho

As to the problem, why do different drive letters matter anyway? Sure a few programs might chuck a hissy, but that's easier to fix than a whole reformat and partition.

Yeah, I don't want a reformat. I just wanted to know if there was a simple way, because a bunch of programs have a habit of installing to C:, not the system partition.

Yeah, I don't want a reformat. I just wanted to know if there was a simple way, because a bunch of programs have a habit of installing to C:, not the system partition.

I didn't leave an option, because there is none. you either reinstall window or deal with it

Eric is right. It is the System Drive. You can not jsut change the drive letter cause it is constanly in use. Trying to change it will not work cause of the fact that you are using it to bring up the Disk Management tool to try and change it. Can not change something that you are currently using and there is no way to force it.

So as Eric said either format or deal with it. Those are the only options. Sorry.

brainwave! maybe. Install another OS on the other partition, boot that, THEN change the drive letter of the other partition!

brainwave! maybe. Install another OS on the other partition, boot that, THEN change the drive letter of the other partition!

a reinstall would be easier and you can't make something else c when what you are using is c unless you make that install another drive letter, but again a reinstall would be easier

a reinstall would be easier and you can't make something else c when what you are using is c unless you make that install another drive letter, but again a reinstall would be easier

I just wanted to put that out as an option in case he really doesn't want to format anything. It's a plus anyway right? dual boot system :) Anyway, just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom