Changing Hard drive letter from C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chances are high that you would for a majority of the software. How come you need to change the letter of the C:\? Do you want another drive to becoem the C:\?

Reason being when software installs itself in the registry it points to the install folder/path usually c:\program files\program if you change it most likely it will error out when you launch it saying the path doesnt exist. You are just asking for a lot of headache changing the C:\.

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY TESTED THIS MYSELF, I CAME ACROSS THIS TODAY, THE ONLY OTHER WAY IS TO REFORMAT BUT THIS MAY WORK.

Change the System/Boot Drive Letter
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.1. Make a full system backup of the computer and system state.
2. Log on as an Administrator.
3. Start Regedt32.exe.
4. Go to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
5. Click MountedDevices.
6. On the Security menu, click Permissions.
7. Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
8. Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
9. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
10. Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
11. Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
12. Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
13. Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
14. Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
15. Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
16. Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
17. Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
18. Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
19. Restart the computer.

thanks

If I need remote assistance can you be trusted? lol

11000 posts in one forum
how many more in the others?

Warez. watch how many people jack up their computer with this info. that's why I would never post it

titanwolf said:
thanks

If I need remote assistance can you be trusted? lol

11000 posts in one forum
how many more in the others?

Im not going to do it for you, I've been in a lot of members computers with remote assistance but ive done things i have done personally so Im not going to attempt this until I come across it myself....Use this as a learning experience, backup your stuff etc....try the info out, if it works, it works, if it dont, simply reformat to correct the problem. Most of the time, this happens when you install XP via the desktop instead of booting from the cd but it can happen other ways also...have fun, let me knowif it works...
Im only on one forum, I aint got time for others, I havent been on here as much as I usually am but Im trying to come back more often....

Partition Magic 8 will change your drive letter with 1 click. It does warn you that you might have program problems if it is the drive your computer boots up to. Haven't tried it yet, but I love to play!

topherus said:
Partition Magic 8 will change your drive letter with 1 click. It does warn you that you might have program problems if it is the drive your computer boots up to. Haven't tried it yet, but I love to play!

drivemapper of pm will fix all of the references

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom