Changed the drive letter of CD-Rom - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Changed the drive letter of CD-Rom

After partitioning with xp setup my cd-rom was D: and in between of the partitions. I had to change it to the K: But now the list appears like this "C: E:" There is no D: It should have been refreshed and arranged alphabetically. What do i do now?

Screenshot: Drop.io adiwqs8

Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
I know things...

Default Re: Changed the drive letter of CD-Rom

Right click on my computer> manage>click on disk management>right click on the drive you want to change and select change drive letter

Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So are you telling me now i have to edit each and every hardrive partitions? It won't affect my data or anything?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

It COULD affect your data. Only if you installed applicaitons on there with registry entries and executables. If the executables see that as drive D:\ and you switch it to drive e:\ you will have to make sure you edit every applicaiton and possibly every registry entry to match the new drive letter.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
It COULD affect your data. Only if you installed applicaitons on there with registry entries and executables. If the executables see that as drive D:\ and you switch it to drive e:\ you will have to make sure you edit every applicaiton and possibly every registry entry to match the new drive letter.
according to his picture. he just need to change his k drive to d and that's it. he didn't need to ask this question.

it does apply to moving other partitions though.drive mapper of partition magic make this an easy chore
Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Ahh the screenshot was up there when i posted. o.0

That is why i explain it like that.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

LOL! I guess you did not get it. I actually changed my CD-ROM From D: to the K: I don't want the MEDIA DRIVE to be in the middle of hard-drive partitions.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Okay what now? You are not talking about just letter now are you. You are talking about the actual Data itself?

If that is the case you have to PHYSICALLY MOVE IT to a open partition that you want it on.

If that still isnt the case then expalin in more detail. Cause we have already given you every answer that your very brief descriptions could describe.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
Okay what now? You are not talking about just letter now are you. You are talking about the actual Data itself?

If that is the case you have to PHYSICALLY MOVE IT to a open partition that you want it on.

If that still isnt the case then expalin in more detail. Cause we have already given you every answer that your very brief descriptions could describe.
exactly
Old 12-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The guy moved his D: drive (CD-Rom) to K: so now he wants all of the others to be changed back a letter to fill in the empty D: spot.

My suggestion is if your last partition doesn't have any applications installed on it that have registry settings, just change that drive to D: and change your CD drive to J: if you want.

You don't have to change them all. The drive letter has nothing at all to do with where on the hard drive that partition physically exists. They are just letters that Windows uses to access that partition.

Honestly, why does it matter that the CD drive is D:? And why do you need that many Windows partitions?

Closed Thread