Changed the drive letter of CD-Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then all he has to do is follow the directions we have provided and just change each drive letter. No need to laugh at us trying to help him out. Telling me that i did not get it doesnt help solve the issue. Nor does it make people want to help when all he says is I dont want my media on the middle partition. WTF does that mean?

I will let someone else handle this as getting someone laighing at me when i explain in detial what is going on and get laughed at is not my idea of support. I really have some strong things i want to say. But i am trying my best not to get yet another warning...

Mak, calm down. Sometimes you get offended too easily. People weren't understanding his question. I don't think he was trying to make fun of anyone. "LOL" is just a way overused thing on forums.

And I hope you don't think I was trying to make fun of you. I was just trying to clear up what he was asking about.

The guy moved his D: drive (CD-Rom) to K: so now he wants all of the others to be changed back a letter to fill in the empty D: spot.

My suggestion is if your last partition doesn't have any applications installed on it that have registry settings, just change that drive to D: and change your CD drive to J: if you want.

You don't have to change them all. The drive letter has nothing at all to do with where on the hard drive that partition physically exists. They are just letters that Windows uses to access that partition.

Honestly, why does it matter that the CD drive is D:? And why do you need that many Windows partitions?

for better organization. I have a similar setup

Mak, calm down. Sometimes you get offended too easily. People weren't understanding his question. I don't think he was trying to make fun of anyone. "LOL" is just a way overused thing on forums.

And I hope you don't think I was trying to make fun of you. I was just trying to clear up what he was asking about.
I may get offended at times about certain things. But to start off with LOL! you dont understand it at all...how can that not be meant any other way?

I dont think you were. I know you were just trying to help make sense of this. It just seems that this person thinks we are stupid and dont understand something. Plus i haev a right to get ****ed today. It has been at least a month since i have last gone off on someone.:laughing: :p

For me i have a setup that is the same thruout XP/Vista and Ubuntu. I setup it up specifically that way so that it would work on any system.;)

I agree, my first post was not clearly explained but english is not my first language.

forrestcupp, Thanks A lot!! That's what i mean exactly. I wish we had the ability to rate the comments here.

And about why it matters to me.. I have been using that order for the last seven years. fdisk used to always put media drive in the end. And it's hard for me to browse for files... as i am used to that previous order. Where my partitions like D: (which is for pictures) E: (for software setups) Applications are only installed on C: drive.

So i cant change the last partition to D: (I also have given partition space according to the media) I hope you get it.

Well, if you absolutely have to change them all, then your best bet will be to just uninstall every program you have installed on any drive other than C:, then change all of the drive letters to be what you want them to be, then reinstall all of the software you uninstalled. That would be a lot easier and safer than trying to mess with the registry.

Well, if you absolutely have to change them all, then your best bet will be to just uninstall every program you have installed on any drive other than C:, then change all of the drive letters to be what you want them to be, then reinstall all of the software you uninstalled. That would be a lot easier and safer than trying to mess with the registry.

drive mapper (partition magic) would fix that easily. I alway reassign my letters after a fresh install. mine is set up so I don't need any registry fixes. I think he needs PM

I use common sense to assign mine to. m for media storage, x for extra, s for swap, i for ipod. my documents is L. that was a random letter that I picked 5 years ago

Done. All Drive Letters changed.

I have another harddrive to make partitions to. Now do i have to go through same steps every time? Is there a version of fdisk that creates NTFS?

Done. All Drive Letters changed.

I have another harddrive to make partitions to. Now do i have to go through same steps every time? Is there a version of fdisk that creates NTFS?

There are graphical partitioners that you can boot from a CD. A lot of people here use Norton PartitionMagic 8.0: Partition Software - Partition Hard Drive but it is $70. Also it has some problems with Vista partitions, and it only has limited support for Linux ext2 & ext3 filesystems.

I like the free GParted -- LiveCD . There is no charge and it can do most popular filesystems. When you install Windows, it will automatically assign drive letters to each partition. You're better off reassigning the letters before you put anything on them.

why do you use fdisk? it's outdated, you have wipedrive, powermax and super fdisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom