Change partition letter to the default letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

In Runtime
I have got HD 40 GB, I have partitioned it to many partitions some of them NTFS and other Fat32.

I installed XP and 2003, each one on a different partition (not same partition).

Letter for partition is changed to D for Win2003, and F for XP.

I tried to changed (Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) the partition letter for XP (From F->E) while I was logging to Win2003 , I could not.

I tried to changed (Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) the partition letter for 2003 (From D->C) while I was logging to XP , I could not.

Message that I received:

“Can not modify the drive letter of your system or boot volume”

Can I change the partition letter ? How ?

you got a dual OS. not a dual boot.

in a dual boot system the other partition is hidden

use Partition magic or disc managemnt to run a dual boot system

Originally posted by EricB on another topic
another tip.

make 3 partitions with the XP cd. I would do 15, 15 and 46, but you can go 20, 20 and 36. the smaller ones being your OS partitions and the bigger one being your documents folder so you can share the same file on both OS

you can put xp on the first or second partition. after you install xp go to computer management, then disc management under admin tools

set the other partition to active. it will boot you to an empty partition and it will hide the xp partition. install vista, it won't even know xp is there. when you are done, go back to disc management and set the xp partition back to active to get back there

zillah said:
I have got HD 40 GB, I have partitioned it to many partitions some of them NTFS and other Fat32.

I installed XP and 2003, each one on a different partition (not same partition).

Letter for partition is changed to D for Win2003, and F for XP.

I tried to changed (Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) the partition letter for XP (From F->E) while I was logging to Win2003 , I could not.

I tried to changed (Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) the partition letter for 2003 (From D->C) while I was logging to XP , I could not.

Message that I received:

“Can not modify the drive letter of your system or boot volume”

Can I change the partition letter ? How ?

Yea, you can do that to the main drive...its gotta be a slave, etc

this is how you do it but you cant do it...im not for sure what would happen if you add one....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307844

use Partition magic
Do you want me to install it (only I can install it with XP, because it is not compatible with server) or you want me to boot the PC form CD that contain Partition Magic ?

or disc managemnt to run a dual boot system
What did you mean by disc management here? Is it another utility ? or the option that available under ( Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) ?

yes that's disc management. you can get it through administrative tools too

warez. you can't change an OS partition this way. you can with partition magic, and use drive mapper to fix the refernces to the old letter, but that will become too complicated. it is better to run dual boot.

delete your D partition. in DM right click the partition and set it active. this will hide the first partion and boot you to the empty one. install server 2003. when you are done go back to DM and set the xp partition back to active.

Most people don't realize you can do this with xp. they think that you have to but 3rd party software

you can use PM too. just pick install another OS and follow the instructions

delete your D partition.
EricB,,both partitions have got OS,,,Deletin partition means delete one OS,,,,,,Do I need to delete one OS ?

Do you want me to install it (only I can install it with XP, because it is not compatible with server) or you want me to boot the PC form CD that contain Partition Magic ?

EricB said:
yes that's disc management. you can get it through administrative tools too

warez. you can't change an OS partition this way. you can with partition magic, and use drive mapper to fix the refernces to the old letter, but that will become too complicated. it is better to run dual boot.

delete your D partition. in DM right click the partition and set it active. this will hide the first partion and boot you to the empty one. install server 2003. when you are done go back to DM and set the xp partition back to active.

Most people don't realize you can do this with xp. they think that you have to but 3rd party software

I know you cant but you can if there was a different drive and not the master drive that the os is on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom