Change Boot Volumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcbarber

Solid State Member
Hey guys. Last night, I finally got around to switching my Vista laptop to XP. I did all of my homework and the switch was flawless. I have one small problem that I've found a workaround for but I want to see if I can fix it completely. I made the mistake of having a USB hard drive attached during installation and it was labeled C:. My primary drive was named D:. Even though Windows functions perfectly well with this setup, it causes a "NTLDR is missing" error after post if I try to boot from the primary partition. I've found a workaround for that in the here: ( Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy, CD-R, or USB flash ) and copying those boot files to my primary drive DID fix it but I'm wondering if there's a more "official" way of getting this repaired short of a reinstall. Windows wont allow me to change the drive letter of the USB disk because it's the boot volume. Is there any utility that will allow me to change my system's boot volume? I just spent so much time getting everything updated exactly as I want it so I'd hate to reinstall at this point.

Thanks guys.

Google for GParted. It is a LiveCD and this will allow you to boot with it and change the XP Drive to the Active System Boot drive.

It can be done within Windows as well. But that is the easiest way as knowning why Windows sees is tougher.

Start>Right Click My Computer>Manage>Disk Management. Make sure that the XP Drive is the Active System Drive. That should solve this as well. Hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom